BIM/Arch development news articles from Yorik's blog

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

Re: BIM/Arch development news articles from Yorik's blog

Post by paullee »

The attributes it removed are those related to Arch Site Object for it to function, like Terrain, so understood they are removed as the IfcSite object does not behaviour like an Arch Site object anymore.

Another observation, before the FC Arch Object and Ifc Objects behaviour can combined :) -
  1. When I drop and Arch Object (e.g. Site), the Ifc Project 'swallow' the original object to turn it into an Ifc Object.
  2. Alternatively, I make a Clone of the former, and drag and drop the latter into the Ifc Tree and it preserves the 'original' Arch Object
  3. Good to add option the drag and drop preserve the original objects?
Thanks
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Hmm that's a very good idea. At least while this is not fully working like it should, this can be very useful
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Update 13 from https://yorik.uncreated.net/blog/2023-0 ... d-weekly13

NativeIFC: hidden project groups

There is a lot of information that needs to be loaded from an IFC file, that is not geometry, for example materials, types, layers, etc… that should be organised inside the IFC project, that should be visible and manageable by the user, at times, but that should also not otherwise pollute your project tree.

All this data is loaded only when you request it (when marking the appropriate checkboxes on the import dialog or by right-clicking an object in the tree) and placed into those hidden groups. You can show them by right-clicking the project and choosing “show hidden items”. There is also a preference option under Edit -> Preferences -> I/O -> NativeIFC to have these groups shown by default.

commit

There is, together with this point above, a whole lot of new functionality in NativeIFC that is, at the moment, loosely gathered under the right-click context menu of objects. This is obviously not ideal, and is highly temporary. Simply, putting these things there at the moment is easy programming-wise as all the “UI” stuff is self-contained and in one place.

Obviously, we will need to better think to the UI later on. Ideally, I’d like all these tools to simply vanish, and the needed functionality to be expanded automatically and transparently while you work. I’ll start experimenting with that soon.

NativeIFC: Editing the geometry tree

By right-clicking any object, you could already select “show geometry tree” and pop up a dialog window showing the geometry composition of that object. Since geometry can be constructed in a lot of different ways in IFC, this is useful info. Now, that dialog shows a side panel that allows you to select geometric components and modify some of their properties.

This is a work in progress, one step further in exploring possibly smart ways to edit IFC geometry without creating a ton of FreeCAD objects and keeping large models responsive, and might change more in the future. But it’s amazing to see how revealing properties like these allows in terms of geometry editing.

And of course, once the “problem” is expressed in properties, the whole UI question next, that is, how to edit these properties graphically, gets much easier to solve. I think we are on a good path there.

commit

NativeIFC: Materials support

Another important item on our list is now done: materials. You can now load all the materials from an IFC file at once, or right-click any object and load its materials. Materials are then stored into one of the hidden groups I described above, and linked to a “Material” property of the object. Within the BIM workbench, you can also create and manage materials the standard way, with the materials manager, and attribute those materials with the same material manager, as if it were a classic, non-NativeIFC material. Under the hood, when attributing a non-NativeIFC to a NativeIFC object, the material gets converted to NativeIFC.

So the basic system is now working, you can view, create and manipulate materials. There are more refinements needed, such as supporting material properties, and probably a better UI workflow, but I guess we need to test a bit how things work now to know better.

commit

NativeIFC: Changed Type property to Class

The current Type property is confusing. Soon we will implement types (families) support. So better change now than later. So from now on, the object type (IfcWall, IfcWindow, etc) is called class.

commit

NativeIFC: Regrouping

You can now drag an IFC element and drop it onto a building or storey, everything gets handled and reorganized smartly. It was actually already possible, but I just checked different scenarios to make sure it works

commit

####NativeIFC: Active containers

This is not fully working yet because it needs changes in FreeCAD, but you can now right-click a building structure object, like a building or storey, and make it active. When an object is active, it is highlighted in the tree, and when you create a new object it will automatically be added to it.

Right now you can already mark an object as active, and when the PR is merged, all new BIM objects will automatically be added to it.

commit - PR

FreeCAD: Export of structure axis

IFC objects can have different representations. For example, a wall can have a 3D shape and a 2D shape that is used in plan view (not sed/implemented yet in FreeCAD/NativeIFC, but we’ll get there). Another representation type that is very useful, is an axis representation, which is a simple line that describe the object. So far, only the walls used it, but it’s also commonly used for stucrtural elements like bams and columns. Now this is also supported in FreeCAD.

PR

NativeIFC: API use + auto changes of IFC file

I reworked a couple of less polished parts of the NativeIFC code, and now each and every action that touches the IFC document (excepting creating new IFC representations, which still use the Arch IFC export code), use the IfcOpenShell API. Besides the increased stability and reliance on IfcOpenShell, it also has the side effect that we always know when the internal IFC file has changed. So we now have a much more reliable way to know that, and we can think of automatic operations such as writing the changes on the fly, or later on plugging to other management systems like Git.

commit
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Looks great !

@yorik would consider to use the IFC Representation dialog box table on the right to edit the properties?

Have some small tasks for the community to contribute? :)
Screenshot from 2023-06-10 08-28-53.png
Screenshot from 2023-06-10 08-28-53.png (151.82 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
Screenshot from 2023-06-10 08-42-32.png
Screenshot from 2023-06-10 08-42-32.png (101.59 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
Screenshot from 2023-06-10 08-48-55.png
Screenshot from 2023-06-10 08-48-55.png (360.46 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Updates from https://yorik.uncreated.net/blog/2023-0 ... d-weekly14

NativeIFC: Layers

This has taken surprisingly more time than I thought, because everything was there already, I thought this would be easy! But in fact it added a whole new layer of complexity to NativeIFC, and made me realize some design options I chose earlier had become too bulky and a large refactoring was needed. More on this below. Anyway, we now have layers support in NativeIFC! Basically:
  • When opening or importing an IFC file using the NativeIFC importer, in the import dialog, we now have the option to import layers. This will create a hidden group inside the IFC project. You can reveal it by right-clicking the project -> show hidden items, or turning on the “show hidden groups” setting in NativeIFC preferences.
  • These layers are the same layers used by Draft and Arch workbenches. Only, they live inside the IFC project.
  • The layers manager of the BIM workbench has been extended so it shows which layer is an IFC layer (part of an IFC project) and which not. From that layers manager you can create new layers, and, by selecting an IFC project, you add these new layers to that IFC project.
  • To add an object to a layer, just drag and drop it on that layer from the tree view.
This all is still a bit rough, of course. But I decided to stop implementing this further for now, because of the increasing complexity. I thought bet to solve that first, then we’ll get back to layers. Read on!

commit

NativeIFC: Groups

The NativeIFC add-on now has support for groups. This works basically the same way as in the rest of FreeCAD: You can add groups inside your IFC project, and add objects to these groups. To add a group, right-click any IFC object in the tree, and choose “Create group”. To add an object to a group, just drag and drop it into it.

There is one catch, though: Groups work the same way as other FreeCAD groups: They behave like other FreeCAD objects. You can add groups inside other objects or structures, but if you add an object to a group, that object cannot be part of another group or structure. This kinds of forces a strict “tree-like” structure.

In IFC, however, groups are a much looser structure. You still keep a strict structure using building containers like storeys or buildings, but any object can be attached to any group, and groups don’t need to live inside a structure.

We could do it that way too, but then our IFC groups would not look like FreeCAD groups anymore, they would become a separate, loose structure on the side and not interfere with the building structure.

I like the former one, because I’ve got used to work that way in FreeCAD and use groups a lot to organize things, for example inside a storey. But I understand this is not the way most people use groups within IFC. So this is a point that still needs some debate I think.

What’s your opinion? Do you use IFC groups? How? I’d be interested to know.

commit

NativeIFC: material properties

Property sets attached to materials are now properly handled by the NativeIFC module.

commit

NativeIFC: code refactor

I seem to have gone (maybe too?) fast and stacked a lot of things in ifc_tools module. This has been working fine up to now, but I begin to meet some bottlenecks. Mainly, the overall complexity begins to pose different problems:
  • The overall performance is becoming hard to control. It is hard to see where the slowdowns and bottlenecks are.
  • Each new feature supported by the NativeIFC brings a new layer of complexity, that must be applied on several parts of the code, which is slowly getting out of control. We need a better plan to handle these complexity increases.
  • There is more and more “stuff” outside the IFC project structure itself: materials, layers, groups… And there will be much more in the future. We need to think of a better system to properly and beautifully handle these.
So I’ve started working on a big code refactor, separating code into easier-to-handle structures, and also designing a better structure to accommodate future expansion. Right now there is not much to see yet, the main piece committed is the separation of all shape-generation code into a separate ifc_generator module. So the situation is mow much clearer: FreeCAD objects use this module whenever they need their shape to be calculated or updated, and that’s it, nowhere else in the NativeIFC module is a shape recalculation initiated. So when measuring file load performance that’s now the only place to look at.

I’ve also added a quick-and-dirty performance test that gives the performance data at the end of the README. I’ll try to maintain these performance numbers updated and more under control form now on.

commit

FreeCAD: 0.21 preparations

The forthcoming 0.21 release of FreeCAD is coming, we are coming to the end of what we call the “feature freeze” time, where we all concentrate on bug fixing. Most of the work is done, and outside a few leftovers we’re close to ready for the release. Another important aspect we’ve been looking into is to better streamline and document the process of building the “official” release packages for the different platforms (Windows, MacOS and Linux).

Currently, weekly builds are all handled using the conda platform. Release builds too, for MacOS and Linux. Conda is a really interesting open-source, cross-platform system that gathers the capabilities of a build system and a package manager.

On Windows, though, the FreeCAD executable must be packaged into an installer, so there is an extra step, which is currently done manually, outside the conda platform.

We’re trying to better document all this process, so others can help working on these packages, and also make the official FreeCAD installer packages more seamlessly installable.

Another issue we have is that main commercial platforms, basically Windows and MacOS, are increasingly trying to restrict the ability for users to install applications not coming from their own stores. More than often, users are nagged by “warning! You are trying to install an unsafe application!” dialogs when trying to install FreeCAD.

While we’re also trying to bring FreeCAD on these stores, it is a pretty complex process which takes big amounts of time and money. So while we’re still not there we are also trying to make the current FreeCAD packages a bit more recognized as safe by these platforms, by having them digitally signed. This is another complex problem that also takes a lot of research, as these platforms put a lot of conditions.

Is all this really bettering the security of these platforms? I have my doubts there, it seems much more like a commercial move to force application developers to use the stores, which generates big revenues (they take about 30% of the developer earnings, without having to do much). Anyway, we’re decided to try to get FreeCAD there, as long as it does not harm the open and free nature of FreeCAD and does not cost us a fortune.

FPA issues
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

yorik wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:03 pm
it looks as if windows11 will soon only be available as cloud streaming. I suspect that most freecad users will then switch to liunx. I wouldn't put much more effort and money into the windwos version
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

thomas-neemann wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:06 pm I wouldn't put much more effort and money into the windwos version
Of course. You see that we're not running to have FreeCAD in the Apple/Windows stores... Nevertheless, I understand having FreeCAD better served on those platforms would be much easier for many users. So what we can do to help them, we definitely want to do. Provided it does not eat all our time and money of course ;)
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

I get the idea that most FreeCAD users use Windows. But I may be wrong. Switching OS is not always an option.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

Roy_043 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:02 pm I get the idea that most FreeCAD users use Windows. ....
I assume so too
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

I have not used Windows at home for a long time (more than 10 or 15 years?), just at workplace where the computers are managed by company :lol: