0.16 Features We'd Like To See

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bejant
Veteran

Re: 0.16 Features We'd Like To See

Post by bejant »

cox wrote:
godblessfq wrote: Maybe the shape2Dview in the draft workbench should use the view direction as the default projection direction.
Sound intuitive :) +1
+1 from me too. I thought there was already a ticket for this in the tracker but I haven't looked through Mantis in quite a while, and I could be wrong. If I find it I'll post a link, and if not I'll put in a ticket.

Edit: Feature requested as issue #2367.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

bejant wrote:+1 from me too. I thought there was already a ticket for this in the tracker but I haven't looked through Mantis in quite a while, and I could be wrong. If I find it I'll post a link, and if not I'll put in a ticket.

Edit: Feature requested as issue #2367.
Done with git commit 472e6b7. The projected object is sometimes rotated, though, but that is done by OCC, and t's not consistent (sometimes not, sometimes 90°, sometimes 270°), I don't know how to solve that...
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

yorik wrote:The projected object is sometimes rotated, though, but that is done by OCC, and t's not consistent (sometimes not, sometimes 90°, sometimes 270°), I don't know how to solve that...
Yes, hours lost in testing that feature.
As I work mainly on animation my idea is to scan the behavior of the tool and use ML to generate a supporting interface.
My problem still is how to bring such data back to FreeCAD :?
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Thanks all!
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

microelly2 wrote:es, hours lost in testing that feature.
As I work mainly on animation my idea is to scan the behavior of the tool and use ML to generate a supporting interface.
My problem still is how to bring such data back to FreeCAD
I put this code into FreeCAD. The Draft-Workbench has now the same projection direction as OCC. This helps to project Draft-Dimensions to Part-Workbench-Shape-Projection in the Drawing Workbench.
I analysed the Projection behavior but unfortunately missed to save the results. I agree that the orientation of the projection is for human purposes unpredictable. My goal was to bring Draft-Projections and Drawing-Projections in sync. Otherwise, you have every time to rotate one or the other in a different way.

At least how to predict the projection direction is in the Draft-code. see: def alignToPointAndAxis_SVG in src/Mod/Draft/WorkingPlane.py
The rotation of the view depends only on the relative size of the direction-axis components against each other.

Ulrich
Joyas

Post by Joyas »

I would like to see a transformation tool like clone, instead adding a copy at the same level of the original object, it leaves it in a sublevel. This would allow to add second rotations (useful if you don't want to deal with (0.12345 , 0.7636 , 0.4578) rotations) or a scale operation.

This is how clone works:
|-Object
|-Clone

I mean something like this:
|-Transformation tool.
. . . |-Object

The operation tree will be less cluttered.

Its interesting if you have a parametric object like this (based on expressions):
[0o0o0]

And you want to have this:
[0o0o0o0o0]
Or this:
[0]

In the last case, the "o" is not present and matrix operation doesn't allow 0 copies of a object.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

Joyas wrote:I would like to see a transformation tool like clone, instead adding a copy at the same level of the original object, it leaves it in a sublevel. This would allow to add second rotations (useful if you don't want to deal with (0.12345 , 0.7636 , 0.4578) rotations) or a scale operation.

This is how clone works:
|-Object
|-Clone

I mean something like this:
|-Transformation tool.
. . . |-Object

The operation tree will be less cluttered.
You can use the Part compound to achive this
see as an example
http://freecadbuch.de/doku.php?id=blog: ... r_animiert
and in action:
http://freecadbuch.de/doku.php?id=blog: ... dsteuerung
Pierrimus

Post by Pierrimus »

A small additional request. Can we have the objects used to make a loft and sweep automatically hide after the new object is created? I do this manually all the time and it's kinda redundant. Thanks.