CNC Tool Library and Toolbit - impossible to use

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
xf3qc

CNC Tool Library and Toolbit - impossible to use

Post by xf3qc »

At least before I was able to get around this atrocity by simply changing bit parameters in Property view..
-but that was removed, now bit parameters just don't show in popertyview anymore.

uuuhhh --- going to try better tool library addon

but would it be possible to manually make/add bits without having to deal with freecad's default tool bit manager? it just doesn't work for me, can't figure it out.

I can see someone here attempted viewtopic.php?p=706097&hilit=toolbit+library#p706097 but I just don't have that kind of time or energy.
spanner888

Re: CNC Tool Library and Toolbit - impossible to use

Post by spanner888 »

CNC Tool Library and Toolbit ...has both a Library and a Toolbit manager.

All it takes to do either of these tasks is clicking on Path Menu items.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

xf3qc wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:03 am At least before I was able to get around this atrocity by simply changing bit parameters in Property view..
-but that was removed, now bit parameters just don't show in popertyview anymore.
This my be a regression. The parameters are all there but they are locked. If nobody can explain here why, please create a ticket on Github.

When you double click on the tool ...
SnipScreenshot-21ef7f.png
SnipScreenshot-21ef7f.png (14.68 KiB) Viewed 375 times
... you get a task panel for editing:
Attachments
SnipScreenshot-af3ffb.png
SnipScreenshot-af3ffb.png (36.42 KiB) Viewed 375 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
xf3qc

Post by xf3qc »

chrisb wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:03 am ... you get a task panel for editing:
ohh, shows up now,
Was job/bit from previous freecad.

Trying to keep FreeCAD up to date and active production environment is a tough one.

Anything path related needs to be redone from scratch, including re-entering tools, feed rates, everything.
Anything less, like trying to do this via config files is a bad idea, something somewhere is omitted, or new property is now required, and causes unpredictable path behavior.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

My constructive feedback is that for a completely new user, there should only be one question 'You appear to have never used the Path Wb before as there is no Tool Library available, do you want the system to create one now as you will not be able to create tool paths without it? Yes/No

In AddonManager the Cache location default is not asked of the user, the default location for Addons themselves isn't asked of the user so why do we need to ask a new user three questions about creating different aspects of the Tool Library, it's too much IMHO.

It's different scenario if I (as an experience user) then decide that I'm not happy with all the shapes etc being on my C: drive and I want to move them to the G: drive and a different folder structure then as a power user I can run a more discrete script which confirms the present location(s) and asks where do you want to move them to ensuring that they are not in use and it wouldn't be a huge effort to write it for all three platforms.
lgrfbs

Post by lgrfbs »

Thanks Syres :idea:
Windows 10 64bit
Best FreeCAD for me right now: FreeCAD 0.18.4 and testing FreeCAD 0.21.1 to see if it is better.
Main CAD program: Alibre Design™ Expert, Version: V25 64-bit [Build 25033]