New 3d CAD based on opencascade & solvespace

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jaisejames

Post by jaisejames »

https://dune3d.org/
aapo

Re: New 3d CAD based on opencascade & solvespace

Post by aapo »

Very interesting, and it seems to have been mostly coded with C. Could be very useful for simple constructions of 3D-printable objects, for which it's apparently intended. Seems to be a nice, simple, and fast CAD program. That said, I didn't quite understand why the Dune3D developer seems to think that FreeCAD is parametric only in 2D? Maybe he has only used Part Workbench with Sketches, and not Part Design Workbench with Sketches? And there are also Expressions in FreeCAD, which make practically everything parametric.
IPowIPi

Post by IPowIPi »

What Solvespace as far as I understand it does differently is that the constraint solver also works in 3d there. What comes closest to this are probably the constraint based assembly workbenches.
aapo

Post by aapo »

aapo wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:23 am ... it seems to have been mostly coded with C.
I'll correct myself, as looking at the code it's mostly C++, as one would expect. Somehow, github statistics listed it as 90 % "C", maybe some odd github side effect.
dune3d_github_stats.png
dune3d_github_stats.png (6.17 KiB) Viewed 345 times
aapo

Post by aapo »

IPowIPi wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:04 pm What Solvespace as far as I understand it does differently is that the constraint solver also works in 3d there. What comes closest to this are probably the constraint based assembly workbenches.
Yes, that could be it. The more correct way for Dune3D author would have been to state it has constraints in 3D sketches as an extra feature. This is something that FreeCAD clearly lacks, because there are only 2D solvers in FreeCAD Sketcher. However, I'm pretty sure that both programs are fully parametric in 2D and 3D, which is a different matter from constraint solving. That got me a bit confused :lol: