A new take on the UI. FreeCAD Nut.

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
lgrfbs

Re: A new take on the UI. FreeCAD Nut.

Post by lgrfbs »

hsmeets :idea:
Windows 10 64bit
Best FreeCAD for me right now: FreeCAD 0.18.4 and testing FreeCAD 0.21.1 to see if it is better.
Main CAD program: Alibre Design™ Expert, Version: V25 64-bit [Build 25033]
FreeCAD Nut

Post by FreeCAD Nut »

obelisk79 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:46 pm I am still very much an amateur designer based on self study and research into some of the associated psychology factors and other so called laws of user experience. I will soon be enrolled in a more formal certification course for ux design. Your experience and input would likely be very useful among the design group. But I also understand the liberating experience of what you are doing. Having direct creative control is much easier to manage and eliminates distracting barriers.

Best of luck, your icons are incredibly well composed. I appreciate the attention to detail and nuance.
Thank you for the positive feedback and the encouragement.

All this is new to me as well. I've designed many consumer products (3D) but only occasionally had to deal with functional graphics for some of the products I was working on. This is my very first attempt to design an interface with hundreds of icons establishing a somewhat complex visual system. Of course, I can apply many universal design principles and theory however I am fully aware I have a lot more to learn.

Frankly, I don't know what they teach in the UX courses nowadays. My impression of the general tendency is that they become very pragmatic preparing the students for the corporate wage labor market and skip many important studies essential for building design culture. Probably you will learn some important things but I would suggest supplementing the training with some side reading. What we now call UX and it is considered by many the Next Great Thing! are largely old Cognitive Ergonomics studies repackaged under a new name (UX) for the younger audience. Cognitive Ergonomics began to form as an academic discipline immediately after WWII and there have been many books and articles published since then. Another thing you may be interested in looking at is Kansei Engineering. The term used to be popular back when I was a student. It is very tightly related to Ergonomics and what we now call UX.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

I've done a good bit of work already. Mostly just visual things as my coding ability is extremely limited.

Here's some of my works and research:
viewtopic.php?t=80189
viewtopic.php?t=81613
viewtopic.php?t=80355

The logo as my avatar was my concept for a refresh of the existing default

I'd love to get some feedback from you as an experienced professional.
FreeCAD Nut

Post by FreeCAD Nut »

obelisk79 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:26 pmI'd love to get some feedback
Certainly! I will take a look in the next couple of days and message you.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

FreeCAD Nut wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:51 pm I will take a look in the next couple of days and message you.
Would any of you mind doing this in public? We may all learn from it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

hsmeets wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:36 am while using FC and solving it in FC main was more or less not needed, but in the end there's now an effort underway to mitigate the TNP in main (and incorporating RT's code).

Although icons do not really solve the UI/UX challenges/inconsistencies FC has. At least it is a start
It's just time wasted for both branches. And it stalled rt's new work.

UI from one man is a great challenge. It certainly will better in consistency then a group.
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
FreeCAD Nut

Post by FreeCAD Nut »

chrisb wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:15 pmWould any of you mind doing this in public? We may all learn from it.

I taught and directed design teams so I am very used to talking about such things openly. However, I noticed some quite complex internal politics between the members of the FreeCAD community. I feel it would be unethical to post publicly my critique and recommendation for Obelisk's work without his permission.

Obelisk is the most knowledgeable member of the "design group" however he is in the very early stages of his education. He is just starting and the way he starts shows a lot of potential.

Believe me, I really don't like nor do I want to sound patronizing but my impression is that I am literally the only member of the FreeCAD community with background and formal qualification in the area of design.

The FreeCAD administrators haven't approached me yet so I feel uncomfortable pushing my vision and guidance to the design enthusiasts and junior colleagues.
kadet

Post by kadet »

johnwang wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:06 am UI from one man is a great challenge. It certainly will better in consistency then a group.
Consistency of course will be better from work of one man than from a group. But there is a saying: If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together. One man project are dependent solely on one person often fails due to that as there is no one who can push project forwards if original author has no time.
FreeCAD Nut wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:06 pm Believe me, I really don't like nor do I want to sound patronizing however my impression is that I am literally the only member of the FreeCAD community with background and formal qualification in the area of design.
That is a very real possibility, the dwg consist of people mostly interested in UX / UI, not educated in that area Some people on discord do have some experience, but it is mostly self taught or based on past work experiences not formal training. I'm sure that every one would benefit from guidance and good tips from a person that actually does have such professional background.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

FreeCAD Nut wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:06 pm The FreeCAD administrators haven't approached me yet so I feel uncomfortable pushing my vision and guidance to the design enthusiasts and junior colleagues.
It's called giving professional advice, but anyway just do what you please. Unless you need money you can propose a project and ask for money from the FPA.
ProjectBP

Post by ProjectBP »

FreeCAD Nut wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:06 pm Believe me, I really don't like nor do I want to sound patronizing but my impression is that I am literally the only member of the FreeCAD community with background and formal qualification in the area of design.
Ahah. You overestimate the importance of design.
While the program has holes in functionality the size of the Titanic - all your design and icons are just tinsel on the Christmas tree (Beautiful, but boring after a week).

I chopped oak with an ax and I did pretty well. Then a man came and offered a beautiful nail file encrusted with diamonds to perform the same task. The oak remained standing in the same place.

I'm ready to use Total Commander or a terminal (console) in Linux (with absolutely no design), if the tasks will be completed quickly.
And design is often just fashion. Now beauty and volume, then flat design, then some other unimportant nonsense.

Your icons are really beautiful and I would be glad to see them in the main thread, but I am much more worried about the data that I enter into fields and lose when accidentally moving the mouse, or that the cross-section of a doorway shows me completely unnecessary lines in the drawing (dozens of similar examples and last but least, the ugliness of the interfaces).
There may be a misunderstanding :!: . I communicate with the help of a translator :P