Material support for Render workbench

A forum to discuss the implementation of a good Materials system in FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
grandcross

Re: Material support for Render workbench

Post by grandcross »

Ok @howetuft , ready for a discussion. Let me know when you're up for a zoom call and I'll send you a link.

There are two repos in play. For the Render WB it is https://github.com/davesrocketshop/FreeCAD-render.git, branch material. For FreeCAD it is https://github.com/davesrocketshop/FreeCAD, branch material_dev2

Before you get your hopes up, the Render WB doesn't yet use those materials. What I've done is modified the material reader in FreeCAD to understand current Render WB material files, and save them in the new format. Once you understand and agree with the changes, we can discuss how the WB can use the new format files. I've made some decisions that need to be verified with some wiggle room if you want a different approach.
howetuft

Post by howetuft »

Hello,
Thank you for your work! I've just had a look at it at this stage as I don't have much time during the week, but I'll look at it carefully this weekend. For various reasons Zoom/visio* is not really my cup of tea, but we'll find other ways to exchange!
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

@howetuft Not sure if you're getting my messages, but we need to have an interactive conversation about the work done and future directions before work can proceed.
howetuft

Post by howetuft »

Hello @grandcross ,

Yes, I am getting your messages, I apologize: I am currently very busy at work and I had to answer to some users also. I come back to you soon.

H
howetuft

Post by howetuft »

Hello @grandcross

I hope you're well! Is there any news on the overhaul of materials management, regarding Render?
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

I've been looking at Rocket Workbench for a recent rocketry conference, but I'm back on it now. You should see some results soon.
howetuft

Post by howetuft »

Fine, I'm looking forward to it!