Very slow model

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
namelessguy0

Very slow model

Post by namelessguy0 »

I'm using v0.20 right now and the model I'm currently working on has become very slow, to the point where it's almost unworkable (have to wait several seconds after just about every click). I'm fairly new to FreeCAD so I'm wondering if it has something to do with how I structured my model. I'm trying to do everything parametrically, so I have a ton of different parameters with varying relationships between them - could this be what's slowing it down? What could I do to avoid this problem in the future?

Model here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkewr2bnh4cqs ... FCStd?dl=0
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Very slow model

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You uploaded a backup file. Is this intended or did you rather wanted to upload the latest FreeCAD file?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

namelessguy0 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:42 am
does it get faster if you don't use aliases, but directly the cell names? e.g. B3
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

namelessguy0 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:42 am (have to wait several seconds after just about every click)
You should be more specific here. I loaded your model, which expectedly took quite some time, but then I could well click through the tree and show the different states of your model.

I edited the last sketch, removed one of the dimensions and replaced it with an equality without any time lag at all.

So here are my two guesses:
  • you edit the Spreadsheet and it takes very long. This is expected, because all objects depending on some even not edited value of it are recomputed. That can not really be avoided, but can be improved by creating multiple spreadsheets
  • You have "Auto update" enabled in Sketcher.
    That causes a recompute on every change in the sketch and you should switch it off. Then the recompute occurs only on closing the sketch.
But there is something far more serious in your model: You attached your DatumPlanes to generated geometry. I don't know if this slows down the recompute time, but you should avoid this completely, because it makes your model extremely fragile.
See the page about the topological naming problem about the issue and have a look at this page, especially the paragraph about creating stable models
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I'm fairly new to FreeCAD so I'm wondering if it has something to do with how I structured my model. I'm trying to do everything parametric
I understand making parts parametric via spreadsheet but is this level of changeability needed i.e. for the design? If you are making everything parametric then maybe assembly would be a better approach.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

I do not think, that the spreadsheet is here to blame, since it is one Body. I think the missing of refinement option with the combinations with fillets any many many coplanar arrays makes the kernel slow. Also is is build up very fragile. I tired it refine it and it breaks immediately.

Greetings
user1234
namelessguy0

Post by namelessguy0 »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:39 am
namelessguy0 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:42 am (have to wait several seconds after just about every click)
But there is something far more serious in your model: You attached your DatumPlanes to generated geometry. I don't know if this slows down the recompute time, but you should avoid this completely, because it makes your model extremely fragile.
I became aware of that issue after I first created this model and will definitely take that into account going forward. Thanks for the help, I'll try using multiple spreadsheets and turning off automatic recompute for sketches.