file menu disappears - freecad 0.20.2

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rek

file menu disappears - freecad 0.20.2

Post by rek »

hi,

i searched this and there was an old thread from 2013 so I thought I should make a new post.

this has been happening a lot recently on freecad 0.20.2, KDE, Manjaro (tried ctrl-M to show hide menu, doesn't work, but maybe this isn't a Freecad thing.)

I keep hitting the wrong shortcut i guess and it causes the file menu at the top of the app to disappear. when i restart Freecad it's back.

what I'm looking for is the shortcut that I am wrongly hitting that causes a toggle of the file menu disappearing.

any leads?
rek

Re: file menu disappears - freecad 0.20.2

Post by rek »

does this happen to anyone else or is it just me?
It's probably a KDE Plasma Linux problem but I'm not sure. Here's more info:

File Edit etc are missing after mistakingly hitting a wrong shortcut I guess:
file_etc_gone.jpg
file_etc_gone.jpg (40.78 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
but when I restart Freecad it's back:
file_thing_back_on_restart.jpg
file_thing_back_on_restart.jpg (39.47 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
what I want: a way to bring back the File Edit (etc) menus at the top of the app.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

are you using any global menu widget somewhere in plasma? Have you checked for menu related shortcuts in your plasma settings? Does switching workbenches have any effect on the menu once it's dissapeared?
rek

Post by rek »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:38 pm are you using any global menu widget somewhere in plasma? Have you checked for menu related shortcuts in your plasma settings? Does switching workbenches have any effect on the menu once it's dissapeared?
to my knowledge, i'm not using a global menu widget, but I might be and not know it. maybe an unknown feature.

I've tried this before which is a bit frustrating, but CTRL-M is supposed to toggle or show the menu in question and I just tried it after the file menus disappeared and it made the hamburger menu appear which I am willing to settle for.

I'm convinced this is a KDE Plasma issue and not a FreeCad one, it's just I haven't noticed this happening on other apps so I thought maybe I'm inadvertently triggering KDE params by using some basic FreeCAD commands. It's hard to track down but If I do figure it out, I will share it.

switching workbenches does change the menu around a bit, but only if the menu is currently being shown by the KDE Plasma Wrapper. I'm failing to recall what 'engine' i'm using to generate the wrapper though. (GTK or etc)

Thank you Adrian!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

rek wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:15 pm I've tried this before which is a bit frustrating, but CTRL-M is supposed to toggle or show the menu in question and I just tried it after the file menus disappeared and it made the hamburger menu appear which I am willing to settle for.
FreeCAD does not use a hamburguer menu so that is most likely something in your plasma setup, can you show me where the hamburger menu appears?
switching workbenches does change the menu around a bit, but only if the menu is currently being shown by the KDE Plasma Wrapper. I'm failing to recall what 'engine' i'm using to generate the wrapper though. (GTK or etc)
I don't undertand what wrapper you are talking about here? FreeCAD is a Qt application so it should be very compatible with plasma (which also uses Qt)

btw I've been using FreeCAD on plasma without issues for quite some time
rek

Post by rek »

According to the settings, the burger menu should be at the top title bar as pictured in the config window:
supposed_to_be_here.jpg
supposed_to_be_here.jpg (125.17 KiB) Viewed 949 times
I'm getting intermittent results. There's a high volume of configuration points after trying ALT+F3 in plasma for example. A bit of learning curve in there. (i don't advise changing any settings in there whoever may be reading, because this could cause annoying issues.)

I somehow was able to show the hamburger menu after the File Menu disappearance by hitting CTRL+M or something. Today it did not work. I'll be the first to blame myself though. I've search engined around and there's people losing file menus on KDE here and there, but the solutions in such threads don't seem to do the trick.

I don't believe this is a FreeCAD fault. I'll be plodding along between sketcher, part, part design, and go to export or save.. and File menu is just gone. I've inadvertently clumsily touched the wrong key somewhere. At least that's what I want to believe because I've never actually been watching the File Menu in order to find what exact key combination I might have struck to cause the disappearance of it. There might be an actual bug somewhere, but for now I am going with some kind of user error-ish thing.

if i can isolate the exact moment it happens that would be great. if i had some kind of screen capture setup or camera i could do some forensics hehe.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Oh yeah I forgot breeze had that option, that is equivalent to having a global menu widget, I don't understand why it disappears though, I remember that used to work well, are you using x11 or wayland? Anyways, see Fine Tuning, and try setting the MainWindow/ClearMenuBar parameter to true in your parameter editor, restart FreeCAD and see if it works well then.
rek

Post by rek »

Thank You Adrian, will check that out!