Help with explicit template instantiation, PR#9499

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bensay

Help with explicit template instantiation, PR#9499

Post by bensay »

For TechDraw PR, I have made lots of new templates, that need explicit template instantiation. Developing on Linux, I have gotten the GNU to eat my code, while compiling on Windows are still failing according to CI.

Do we have any Windows developers wanting to help out with those explicit template instantiation? It's an easy task and you don't need any prior experience with FreeCAD code!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Help with explicit template instantiation, PR#9499

Post by wandererfan »

bensay wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:51 pm
I'm no help at all with the Windows aspect. Do you have a code fragment and error message to share? Maybe it will ring a bell for somebody.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... ension.cpp

For TechDrawGui the linker fails to get the symbols and the compiler cannot re-create them because the code is in the source files. For the explicit template specialization you have to use the export macro to export the symbols to the library.

For example:

Code: Select all

TechDrawExport template std::string CosmeticExtension::addCosmetic<CosmeticEdge>(BaseGeomPtr bg);
bensay

Post by bensay »

wmayer wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:15 am For TechDrawGui the linker fails to get the symbols and the compiler cannot re-create them because the code is in the source files. For the explicit template specialization you have to use the export macro to export the symbols to the library.

For example:

TechDrawExport template std::string CosmeticExtension::addCosmetic<CosmeticEdge>(BaseGeomPtr bg);
I tried with

TechDrawExport template std::string CosmeticExtension::addCosmetic<GeomFormat>(GeomFormat* cosmetic);  // Compiler error
template TechDrawExport std::string CosmeticExtension::addCosmetic<GeomFormat>(GeomFormat* cosmetic);  // Linker error
:(
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Sorry, I wasn't around in the forum in the last five weeks but it looks you got https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/9499 working now, right?
bensay

Post by bensay »

wmayer wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:04 am Sorry, I wasn't around in the forum in the last five weeks but it looks you got https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/9499 working now, right?
Yes, what you sent actually worked. Probably did a typo and then mistakingly concluded it didn't work.