Section view hatch without a rib

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FBXL5

Re: Section view hatch without a rib

Post by FBXL5 »

ThanklessLiving wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:07 pm I would say that there are more important issues to attend to.
+1
mwlandolsi

Post by mwlandolsi »

Hello FreeCAD community,
I do not know if it is the right moment to revoke this thread again, but I think It could an amazing Pro feature to add the possibility to exclude a feature from hatching. This is useful for many cases, not only ribs, but also in many assemblies, we need to exclude some parts which does not contain any internal shapes or details.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

mwlandolsi wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:07 pm I do not know if it is the right moment to revoke this thread again, but I think It could an amazing Pro feature to add the possibility to exclude a feature from hatching. This is useful for many cases, not only ribs, but also in many assemblies, we need to exclude some parts which does not contain any internal shapes or details.
I'm having trouble visualizing how this would work. How would the program recognize something that should be excluded from hatching?

Is this the effect we're looking for?
ClothesHangerBody_noHatchOnRib.png
ClothesHangerBody_noHatchOnRib.png (37.81 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

It would make sense to add an option to prevent the hatching of ribs (if there was a dedicated tool for them in the first place). It would also make sense to add an option to exclude selected parts of assemblies from hatching. Other than that, an option to use sketching tools on TechDraw (section) views, useful also for other reasons, would be sufficient. That's how it's handled in SolidWorks: https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2016/ ... ion-scope/
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Greetings to the Community!
In my humble opinion a very useful thing to implement would be to form faces (better called "cosmetic region") when selecting edges (lines, arcs, splines, etc.) of the projected drawing, together with cosmetic geometries (lines, arcs ) or only cosmetic geometries, to form closed polylines.
In this way it would be possible to enter a pattern among those available, and probably also calculate its area.