[Solved] How to install Graphviz on Win10?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Ulicad

Re: How to install Graphviz on Win10?

Post by Ulicad »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:39 am
Ulicad wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:19 am It was my fault to not strictly adhere to the quoting-rules.
Here it's not about the rules, I have no clue why and what you quoted.
I misused the quoting feature to draw your attention once more to the slightly off-topic matter of finding unused values in the spreadsheets...

Sorry for that.
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
en: New FC-user, virgin to previous CAD-work, labouring on his new hobby Ulis Blog
de: Neuer FC-Nutzer, ohne vorhergehende CAD-Erfahrung, beschäftigt mit seinem neuen Hobby Ulis Blog
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

To draw someones attention we had formerly to quote users with a "ping" like this, where you remove the post_id:
Ulicad wrote: Ping
Now it can be done using the mention tag e.g. like this:

Code: Select all

[mention]Ulicad[/mention]
Which gives you a notification, e.g. for a sentence like: @Ulicad is far more chaotic than FreeCAD.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Ulicad

Post by Ulicad »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:47 pm To draw someones attention we had formerly to quote users with a "ping" like this, where you remove the post_id:
Ulicad wrote: Ping
Now it can be done using the mention tag e.g. like this:

Code: Select all

@Ulicad
Which gives you a notification, e.g. for a sentence like: @Ulicad is far more chaotic than FreeCAD.
Thank you so much! All of the given information truly is helpful :!: or even comforting ;) !

Not wanting to start a new thread (in Open discussion), I am still hoping for a graph, including all dependencies in the spreadsheets... (Alternatively: I just did not find the right way?)

Having read a little about this matter, I am next to certain that Graphviz easily can do this (and even does - it just is not showing it..) - for every FreeCAD user.

Graphviz nicely shows the main dependencies within FC-'documents', including the final values from spreadsheet cells or aliases used directly in the CAD-model - it sadly does NOT show its predecessors. It easily could show them though.

Somehow, Graphviz is extracting these informations from FC - only how? The main language ASFAIK is Python.

Possibly @onekk knows the way Graphviz is doing this and how it could be adapted?

My naive thinking:
Filter out what Graphviz is outputting regularly and output what Graphviz regularly is suppressing :) :? .

Never loose hope...

EDIT:
Another alternative occured just now:
FC is providing the information to Graphviz and does NOT provide these about the predecessors... :(

Still truly hope someone can shed light on this!
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
en: New FC-user, virgin to previous CAD-work, labouring on his new hobby Ulis Blog
de: Neuer FC-Nutzer, ohne vorhergehende CAD-Erfahrung, beschäftigt mit seinem neuen Hobby Ulis Blog
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Ulicad wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:48 am ...
Possibly @onekk knows the way Graphviz is doing this and how it could be adapted?
Sorry I don't know graphviz, and neither how it is working, but each objects has some properties so probably it is a matter to know how to extract informations from objects.

Some objects are linked, so the link must know the two sides of the link.

Other objects like PD features have "parent" or "ancestor", and when using expressions you have to state from where to extract data.

I don't know if there is a place where these info are stored other than XML files that then will populate the FCStd file.

Probably the solution is to traverse and analyze the two XML files, than until saved are stored in a temporary directory.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Ulicad

Post by Ulicad »

onekk wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:20 am... so probably it is a matter to know how to extract informations from objects. ...
Could scripting be a work around for this case?

1) read calculation relevant cell references or aliases and their values or expressions (in any default-format [utf-8])
2) output each successfully filtered values to a text file, line by line

If you have this file, one can get an overview using a suitable text processor, higlighting multiple occurences of any desired string. The files ought not be too large for this approach though.

Is this posssible? I practically have no idea of scripting..
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
onekk
Veteran

Re: [Solved] How to install Graphviz on Win10?

Post by onekk »

It is not a cup of tea as there is no a proper GetCells() method.

I have only found some workarounds like links below:

viewtopic.php?t=31053

This seems a good approximation of a way to retrieve non empty cells contents:

viewtopic.php?p=257571#p257571

Hope it helps.

Regards

Carlo D.
- Various other stuffs.

mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi

see :

Macro_Print_SceneGraph Image

Macro_TreeToAscii Image

can be useful or ideas

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
Ulicad

Post by Ulicad »

onekk wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:57 am It is not a cup of tea as there is no a proper GetCells() method. ...
Hello Carlo, thanks for your help!
I am doing the actual task now 'manually' - an automation would be an excursion too 'far' ..

Regarding the main quest as such (find [unused] aliases or expressions) and considering my curiosity, I had a brief look at the links. Not understanding them very much, here an addition:
Since a user easily could give cell-ranges, any 'queries' could be iterating through two loops (a rather limited number of rows and columns).
This way, only a declared range of all possible cells would be queried.
mario52 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:47 am... can be useful or ideas
mario
Oh my dear - these works definitely needed quite some cups of tea... :o

The beginners question now changed from:
Can something particular be done using scripting or macros?

To:
What is it that can not be done?

Certainly these macros would be largely sufficient for study and going into this matter..

Regards
Uli
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Ulicad wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:07 pm
The beginners question now changed from:
Can something particular be done using scripting or macros?

To:
What is it that can not be done?
There is something that could not be done using a script.

Things that have no API exposed to Python. (API = Application Programmer Interface)

But at least in FreeCAD itself are not too much, and usually if you ask politely, it is not rare that they are implemented if useful.

Sadly different situation is ehen speaking of WB as the canonical answer (it depends) coukd have very different meanings.

Usually as a WB is usually (but not always) written in Python you could have some chances, as you could study the code:

- you create "helper methods" that reuse some WB methods supplying correct data.

- you could copy, paste and modify some WB code to adapt it to your needings.

But it depends heavily on your coding skills and on code readability, as some programmers could write very obscure code.

The real power of FreeCAD is in this ability, as you could find a way even to circumvent some "CAD kernel" idiosyncrasies and automate tedious and repetitive operations, or even create new ways of doing things.

Side note is that Python is usually slow if you compare it to C++, so very complex things could take some computation time.

Kind Regards

Carlo D.
- Various other stuffs.