Keeping FreeCAD in single window mode

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Giraphant

Keeping FreeCAD in single window mode

Post by Giraphant »

Hi,

I am new to the forum so welcome everyone.

There is simple problem with FreeCAD that is driving me crazy.

operating system: Linux Manjaro (KDE)
FreeCAD version: 0.20.2

I accidentally dis-attached "Combo View" panel from main program window so now it is separate window. I would like it back to where it was previously. I was fighting with this for last hour. Tried dragging "Combo View" panel to where it was but without any luck. The only thing that helped was removal of settings files from system user folder. However this is not solution but workaround. So the question is how do I make "Combo View" panel return to its original place and not float as separate window in my system?

Thanks

screenshot.png
screenshot.png (136.03 KiB) Viewed 366 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Keeping FreeCAD in single window mode

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Dragging it to the left near the inside of the FreeCAD window should do the trick: It shows a grey preview where the panel will go. You may try 0.21; AFAIK it has new Qt libraries linked and may act differently on your system.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

if that doesn't work you can delete ~/.config/FreeCAD/FreeCAD.conf and it should reset the position of it's window
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:11 pm if that doesn't work you can delete ~/.config/FreeCAD/FreeCAD.conf and it should reset the position of it's window
OP had already mentioned this.
As a full reset deletes all preferences, you can at least save some by creating a preference pack which can be reloaded after the reset.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

the file I mentioned is only the stuff qt stores, so window size and position and such. Actual FreeCAD config would remain untouched (~/.config/FreeCAD/user.cfg), at most you would also loose some toolbars positioning.

Also, double clicking on the panel toolbar might work

Are you running on wayland? If FreeCAD is running with XWayland that might be the reason as one window is not allowed to know where is the other