simplify wording on Techdraw GUI

Discuss here everything concerning translations. This includes the wiki as well as the help system and the crowdin translations of FreeCAD itself.
chennes
Veteran

Re: simplify wording on Techdraw GUI

Post by chennes »

In general, \n should be invisible on CrowdIn if things are set up correctly: it should just display as a line break. In UI files the same is true. Sometimes developers will turn on Rich Text or HTML just to get line breaks, but they don’t need to do that, they can use \n (if using Designer) or just put in the line breaks with the Enter key (if hand editing the UI file). In source code you have to put in the \n, but CrowdIn should display it as a line break. If translators put in line breaks, they are returned and interpreted properly. CrowdIn’s poor rendering of HTML entities is annoying, I haven’t looked into whether this can be improved.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

david69 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:36 pm for most of the cases, based on this example:
we simplify our task:
Controls the size of spacing between dimension line and dimension text.
Value * linewidth is the line spacing.
I found where the html escape sequences are being added. In Qt Designer, the data entry panel for tool tips has two identical subpanels, one for html and one for plain text. If the coded is not paying attention and types plain text into the default panel, it is converted to html.
QtDesignerToolTipEntry.png
QtDesignerToolTipEntry.png (25.32 KiB) Viewed 4866 times
david69 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:36 pm I also guess would be better to write Annotation at plurial. under Annotation, there is an other Annotation. all are now hidden.
The is an Annotation menu for all annotation functions (cosmetic lines, text boxes, etc). One of those function is the simple text annotation.

I don't understand "all are now hidden". Hidden from the translation process?
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

wandererfan wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:11 pm
david69 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:36 pm for most of the cases, based on this example:
we simplify our task:
I found where the html escape sequences are being added. In Qt Designer, the data entry panel for tool tips has two identical subpanels, one for html and one for plain text. If the coder is not paying attention and types plain text into the default panel, it is converted to html.

david69 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:36 pm I also guess would be better to write Annotation at plurial. under Annotation, there is an other Annotation. all are now hidden.
The is an Annotation menu for all annotation functions (cosmetic lines, text boxes, etc). One of those function is the simple text annotation.

wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

we simplify our task:
I found where the html escape sequences are being added. In Qt Designer, the data entry panel for tool tips has two identical subpanels, one for html and one for plain text. If the coder is not paying attention and types plain text into the default panel, it is converted to html.

wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Sorry about the spam. Pushed the wrong button somewhere.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

wandererfan wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:13 pm I don't understand "all are now hidden". Hidden from the translation process?
by 'all', I means the two wording 'Dimensions' and the two wording 'Annotation' on the Preferences page.
yes. that's what kaktus has found as a proofreader, we worked on that yesterday.

sometimes, original strings are translated, and later we can not find them anymore for translation.
in the present case I wanted to change 'Dimensions' by 'Cotes' and 'Annotation' by 'Annotations'.

I guess there are some good translations now hidden to translators but it is out of scope of this topic.

no problem about spamming and good you have identified the root cause.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

@david69 & @kaktus will this PR issue #9693 cause problems for translation? It removes the html codes inserted by Qt Designer for 4 TechDraw ui.

I left the bold/italic line at the bottom of the preference panels in place as I don't know how to specify them without html.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

thank you wandererfan for the PR.
wandererfan wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:40 pm I left the bold/italic line
understood, may be somebody else knows how to print bold/italic without html code.
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

Also, thank you for your efforts and time. ;)
I understand that we won't get rid of all HTML formatting right away, and I think highlighting text the way you've done it is good and even necessary.

The snag is that there should not be too much of this formatting especially in cases where the same effect can be achieved without it. :idea:

I will try to find out how others do it.

Thank you very much again :mrgreen:
Twórca polskiej wersji Wiki dla FreeCAD, współwórca polskiej wersji GUI.
"Cierpliwym być musisz, by wiedzę zgłębiać tajemną, gdyż ciemna strona mocy niszczącą i silną jest".
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

good idea kaktus to look for ex:

for the bold,

here are two examples and I don't see html code
https://crowdin.com/translate/freecad/3 ... fr#6600468
https://crowdin.com/translate/freecad/549/en-fr#6598526

here hmtl is used:
https://crowdin.com/translate/freecad/548/en-fr#6498589

for italic but not html code
https://crowdin.com/translate/freecad/2 ... fr#6498256

it seems as soon as there is a mix, html is required.