POV Ray Rendering Workbench Instructions on Github [Solved]

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
frcaduser

POV Ray Rendering Workbench Instructions on Github [Solved]

Post by frcaduser »

Version 0.20.2
Rev. # 29603 (Git)
Release Date 2022/12/07 02:35:37
OS Windows 10 Version 2009
Word Size 64-bit

Hello,

in the process of using the POV Ray workbench for rendering. In the following workbench tutorial:
https://gitlab.com/usbhub/exporttopovray/-/tree/master

after I follow the instructions to a 'T', I receive the following error message. If this is required (reference attachment),
please include that as part of the instructions and explain the steps in detail. A tutorial should always be as clear and
reproducible as possible. There should be no missing steps.

Update: I went to the following wiki page: https://wiki.povray.org/content/HowTo:Install_POV, and it states the following:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Set the POV-Ray Executable Path
After installing POV-Ray, you have to tell the workbench, where you installed POV-Ray. To do this, go into the POV-Ray workbench and go to Edit/Preferences/POV-Ray. Under "POV-Ray Executable" you can define, where you installed POV-Ray. After that, restart FreeCAD and have
fun with our workbench :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is this manually required? Other workbench installations do not require this step. Can this step be integrated as part of
the installation in the Addon manager?

Has someone actually used this workbench? If so, can you provide the generic path for this executable file. I am unable
to find it on my system.

frcaduser
Attachments
POV_Ray_Rendering_1.png
POV_Ray_Rendering_1.png (8.06 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
Last edited by frcaduser on Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Raytracers

Re: POV Ray Rendering Workbench Instructions on Github

Post by The_Raytracers »

frcaduser wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:51 pm Why is this manually required? Other workbench installations do not require this step. Can this step be integrated as part of
the installation in the Addon manager?

Has someone actually used this workbench? If so, can you provide the generic path for this executable file. I am unable
to find it on my system.
Hi @frcaduser,
that's actually a missing feature. But as far as I know, this isn't implemented in other workbenches like Render either?!

Since I'm working on Linux, I cannot just look up the path on my own system, but have you looked into "C:\Program Files", "C\:Program Files (x86)" or "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming"? It's very likely that there is a folder or executable called povray.

Best regards
The_Raytracers

Post by The_Raytracers »

If you've figured out the correct path, I would add this to the documentation so others do not stumble across the same issue :)
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

@frcaduser Have you actually installed the required executable? When you run the installer the installation path is clearly indicated.
Executable path: C:\Program Files\POV-Ray\v3.7\bin\
frcaduser

Post by frcaduser »

Roy_043 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:02 am @frcaduser Have you actually installed the required executable? When you run the installer the installation path is clearly indicated.
I have already uninstalled this workbench. I am using Blender for rendering.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

frcaduser wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:51 pm Why is this manually required? Other workbench installations do not require this step.
well of course if other workbench don't need this software they won't be asking you to install it ;) but note that WBs like openscad and cfdOF do require you to indicate the install location to the software they need (although with some automation for standard locations) and even the dependency graph functionality in freecad ask you for the location of graphviz if it can't find it. So it's not this WB the only one doing this
Can this step be integrated as part of the installation in the Addon manager?
only if it's available as a pip package.
frcaduser

Post by frcaduser »

Roy_043 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:02 am @frcaduser Have you actually installed the required executable? When you run the installer the installation path is clearly indicated.
... no such path exists
frcaduser

Post by frcaduser »

The_Raytracers wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:21 pm If you've figured out the correct path, I would add this to the documentation so others do not stumble across the same issue :)
... there is no .exe file ... it does not exist.

C:\Users\userFolder\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\POV-Ray-Rendering

is the folder location where the Addon Manager stated that it had been downloaded to.

frcaduser
Attachments
POV_Ray_Download_Folder.png
POV_Ray_Download_Folder.png (3.78 KiB) Viewed 2181 times
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

frcaduser

Post by frcaduser »

Please provide the link where it clearly states without ambiguity or without referring the user to another link or
another page. In other words, where it states something to the effect: To download the POV Ray.exe file, click here:

No other links, no other Readme files, etc., to reference.

In the wiki page for the Linux version, it appears that the instructions were explicit and clear. For the Windows
version not so much.

frcaduser