Sketcher - Text - Annotations tooling

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DaLiV

Re: Sketcher - Text

Post by DaLiV »

thomas-neemann wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:21 am
Sure - workpath is shorther in case of "custom toolbars" , but in such cases need to close "Sketcher" and open afterwards (otherwise toolls are grayed out - you can try add button "Draft->move" into global custom toolbar and try it inside sketcher)

I'm not saying that is not impossible to do, but only that is suboptimal, and would be nice to add features for improvements in sketcher.

also possible as draft+sketch must be combined in one workspace...
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Re: Sketcher - Text

Post by thomas-neemann »

DaLiV wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:47 am
I create almost all "sketches" in draft (arch) there are texts no problem. is this also a solution for you?
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
M4x
Veteran

Re: Sketcher - Text - Annotations tooling

Post by M4x »

I don't think it's a good idea to use Draft instead of Sketcher.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

M4x wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:16 am I don't think it's a good idea to use Draft instead of Sketcher.
with 3d sketches with bsplines I see e.g. No possibility in Sketcher

drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Maybe it's a language issue for me.

But a sketch created with the Sketcher workbench Sketcher_Newsketch, is a bunch of lines on a planer/flat. One axis of the coordinates of these lines is always the same value, that is, in the sketch, is seen as 0.0 of sketch local Z.

In Draft workbench the coordinates of lines can be any value, i.e. anywhere in the global LCS.

AFAIK any conversion from Draft to Sketcher projects the lines so that one axis is gets mapped to the flat plane of the sketch.

To my mind, there is no such thing as 3d Sketch (that is an object, as in an OOP object created Sketcher_Newsketch call).

I just want to understand the mental image others have of this Draft 3D sketch concept.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

drmacro wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:09 am
I put the word sketches in "" because in connection with freecad it means the results of the sketcher workbench.

in general i don't know any other word for the result of the draft workbench. in other cad systems something like this is called a 3d sketch, but not all sketches from draft are 3d

papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

you can use Draft Wb's text generator
you write your first line
you do a Copy (Ctrl C) / paste to have the 001, with "Placement" move to the right position including in Z so that it is visible after Pad
the copied is still in the clipboard, you make a second pasted, same manipulation ... etc until the end, and you change the texts
it's not a lot of manipulation to jump from one workshop to another since the 1st text is stored in the clipboard
with color it's funny
Attachments
Label.FCStd
(62.94 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
label.JPG
label.JPG (63.68 KiB) Viewed 429 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

For more than simple models, using Draft WB for annotations are no replacement for Sketcher annotations, because the former are always globally available and have no connection to any other (Draft or non Draft) object.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.