Feature suggestion: Perpendicular dimension constraint

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PedjaS

Feature suggestion: Perpendicular dimension constraint

Post by PedjaS »

We have options to set distance between two points as Vertical, Horizontal and direct length dimension constraints.

I often need to set distance which is perpendicular to one or two items, but items are not horizontal or vertical. In such cases I cannot use vertical or horizontal dimension constraint and found no other way but to add construction line that is perpendicular to objects and set it's dimension. It works but clutters the drawing.

It would be great to have option to set dimension constraint that is perpendicular to existing element(s) regarding of element orientation in space.
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: Feature suggestion: Perpendicular dimension constraint

Post by NewJoker »

Let's not add even more dimension constraints but this could be added as one of the possible behaviors of the distance constraint. Like the recently introduced circle to circle and circle to line distance constraints but probably activated with some keyboard shortcut. Of course, ideally, this should be handled by a single multi-purpose dimensioning tool but we still have to wait for that.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

I don't understand, Sketcher_ConstrainDistance already has a perpendicular option (point perpendicular to line).
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Roy_043 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:41 pm I don't understand, Sketcher_ConstrainDistance already has a perpendicular option (point perpendicular to line).
+1
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
PedjaS

Post by PedjaS »

I meant constraint dimension like this green one
constaint.png
constaint.png (39.69 KiB) Viewed 679 times
I have the latest official FreCAD release and I cannot find way how to make this kind of dimension constraint. other than messing up with construction lines.

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.2.29177 +426 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached from 0.20.2)
Hash: 930dd9a76203a3260b1e6256c70c1c3cad8c5cb8
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.3
Installed mods: 
  * BOLTSFC
  * Curves 0.6.5
  * fasteners 0.4.27
  * fcgear
  * kicadStepUpMod 10.16.5
  * Pyramids-and-Polyhedrons
  * QuickMeasure 2022.10.28
  * sheetmetal 0.2.59
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I do not see anything "perpendicular" in your request. The green dimension line is "parallel" to the 44 mm line.

Different subject.

Gene
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

A construction line is a perfectly reasonable requirement for making such constraints.