Headers in Treeview could we remove them?

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
saso
Veteran

Re: Headers in Treeview could we remove them?

Post by saso »

As I said before, in NX and Creo a lot of additional useful information can be displayed in additional columns of the model tree... Maybe we don't have as much use of it now as they have but we could in the future. For me the option of moving this to the tooltip for sure does not seem as the right solution, the basic idea of this is to have this additional information visible. But it would make sense to have the option hide it.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

Once 0.21 is released, i think the tooltip idea should be implemented so it can be experienced and we can test it's usefulness. If tooltips get shot down like 98% of any other new UI/UX suggestions, and if the existing option stays, it should be hidden by default, due to its obscure use.

As a side note, can we as a community try to be more open to experimenting with new concepts and proposals in the developmental versions? Always seems like a few key voices oppose any change that may cause them to adjust a workflow. Big or small, progress isn't made without risk. This is what development cycles should be used for. Bad commits can be reverted.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

FBXL5 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:06 pm That doesn't work on my MacBook :(
Use Enter key. You can reach the field also by selecting the normal tree item and use the "Right" key.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

chrisb wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:30 am
FBXL5 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:06 pm That doesn't work on my MacBook :(
Use Enter key. You can reach the field also by selecting the normal tree item and use the "Right" key.
Enter does the job, but the arrow to the right doesn't (this seems to be the "wrong" key)
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

obelisk79 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:02 am As a side note, can we as a community try to be more open to experimenting with new concepts and proposals in the developmental versions? Always seems like a few key voices oppose any change that may cause them to adjust a workflow. Big or small, progress isn't made without risk. This is what development cycles should be used for. Bad commits can be reverted.
This!
And good ideas should be contributed to the Style Guide. If some of those 'key voices' really wanted to make a difference, they would help improve the style guide.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

chennes wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:16 pm You could submit a PR to switch the default for that preference to "False" (though it won't get reviewed until after 0.21 is released).
Where is this preference located in the ui? I found that it should be stored in
parameter:BaseApp/Preferences/TreeView/HideColumn but can't find where it's accessible. Is it intended to be only set by creating the pref manually?
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

paddle wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:34 am
chennes wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:16 pm You could submit a PR to switch the default for that preference to "False" (though it won't get reviewed until after 0.21 is released).
Where is this preference located in the ui? I found that it should be stored in
parameter:BaseApp/Preferences/TreeView/HideColumn but can't find where it's accessible. Is it intended to be only set by creating the pref manually?
Looks to be here:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... ct.cpp#L71
wieszak17

Post by wieszak17 »

saso wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:45 pm As I said before, in NX and Creo a lot of additional useful information can be displayed in additional columns of the model tree... Maybe we don't have as much use of it now as they have but we could in the future. For me the option of moving this to the tooltip for sure does not seem as the right solution, the basic idea of this is to have this additional information visible. But it would make sense to have the option hide it.
+1, tooltip is a bad idea, tooltips are good only for practically never used info. If there woulde be more bodies, searching one with particular description would be painful. But i would suggest another thing - user definable amount of such columns. Personallly i'm sometimes using that description, and in my case it is very handy to see all entered values at once - i'm putting there typical part number/code (name is reserved for number or name of that object in this project). But it could be that column(s) is hidden by default and user can show it/them at wish - but not burried somewhere in preferences, but by (small) button nearby.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

My Freecad won't compile so I won't be doing any pr for this until I fix that.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

So it was unexpectedly easy to do :

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/9697

The PR is +4/-5 so maybe it can get in 0.21 @chennes ? :)