Edit > Transform Move Function

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
frcaduser

Edit > Transform Move Function

Post by frcaduser »

Hello,

just an observation while using the Transform movement function. To make this function more useful, the movement tri-arrow
displayed function should zoom along relative to the viewable display. When I zoom in on a particular area that I wish to move an object
for editing (aligning an object to make a fine cut), the tri-arrow stays outside of this view thus making it not as useful.

Can this tool be improved (it would really help)?

frcaduser
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Edit > Transform Move Function

Post by adrianinsaval »

can include pictures of what you mean? what's the current behavior and a mockup of what you want instead? (no need to get fancy, you can use paint if you want)
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

The transform widget (gizmo?) must stay attached to the Placement point of the object. That is the point around which rotations are performed. Try using Draft_Move.
frcaduser

Post by frcaduser »

Roy_043 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:56 pm The transform widget (gizmo?) must stay attached to the Placement point of the object. That is the point around which rotations are performed. Try using Draft_Move.
Yes, I do use the Draft move. But for that, I have to go to another bench. I was trying to avoid that, ..., trying to stay within the same bench.
The alternative is using the Placement coordinates. I do find the Transform useful, but I really have to be zoomed out of the current object under editing to use it. The transform should be more like the all present coordinate display (when under use) as the one in the lower right-hand corner.

Another strike against the Transform is that when you move an object in any direction, the Transform follows along too ... eventually out of view for major moves, again, unless you're zoomed out far enough.

frcaduser
frcaduser

Post by frcaduser »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:36 pm can include pictures of what you mean? what's the current behavior and a mockup of what you want instead? (no need to get fancy, you can use paint if you want)
Hello,

please reference the attachment. Since I am designing a small enclosure, my moves, cuts, edits in general, I really have to be zoomed in relative
to the standard default viewable window. From the attachment, notice the size difference of the Transform tool relative to the enclosure pieces in the background. Thus, all of my moves always have to be with low resolution when using the tool. I was hoping to be able to use the tool
when making adjustments (moving objects relative to other objects). When I zoom in, the Transform stays outside of the area of interest and therefore not really useful, in may case. It would be helpful if the Transform tool stays (follows) the viewable window regardless if you're zooming in or out (it auto-adjusts and stays within the working window until the tool is closed).

frcaduser
Attachments
tranformTool.png
tranformTool.png (10.74 KiB) Viewed 757 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I wouldn't call it zooming, and it would indeed be helpful, if Transform was used only for translations. Alas, as soon as you rotate, it would either be very cumbersome or it would be a different tool.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

I agree with @chrisb as when you are doing rotations you have to have clear even where the center of rotation is placed, if not the origin is used so things are not so simple.

Main problem I've found when using the GUI is the fact that I wanted to perform some actions "intuitively", and usually my intuition is not what FreeCAD is thinking (and geometry is suggesting) is the cirrect way. Obviously my fault in "spatial orientation" and in Vector math. :oops:

For which I have resorted to model almost always with scripting, so mistakes are "written" and could be amended. Sometimes I crash FreeCAD, but adding comments to last lines added will result in a working model whatever complex it is, I have to restart FreeCAD and find the correct way.

Usually the process is involving to learn new things and improve my geometrical knowledge. :D Thanks to some fellows here among others @edwilliams16, @chrisb, @Chris_G, @wmayer and others (sorry for the forgotten people.) in the end I can model even complex things.

Sorry for the OT, an thanks for your patience.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/