Headers in Treeview could we remove them?

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
saso
Veteran

Re: Headers in Treeview could we remove them?

Post by saso »

Just for a bit of counterweight, review a bit the options and use of the tree columns in Creo and NX for example, to see from where this is coming and why/how it can be useful...
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

paddle wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:30 pm The root of the tree called "Application" could also be removed. It useless.
@sliptonic

I propose the following...
1: rename the "application" part of tree view to the filename.
2: remove headers completely
3: make the description text show as a tooltip with a 400 millisecond delay on mouse focus.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Is the description column same as label2?

I have used it a lot (in the past) and found it very helpful, but...
seldom use it nowadays, because it occupies valuable space.

If it could be converted to a kind of tool tip I would love it again

@sliptonic - scream ;)
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

bambuko wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:19 pm is the description column same as label2?
Yes! Label2=description.
AS far as I read here:

Code: Select all

treeView->header()->hide()
Should remove the header in treeview.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

obelisk79 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:11 pm
paddle wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:30 pm The root of the tree called "Application" could also be removed. It useless.
I propose the following...
1: rename the "application" part of tree view to the filename.
Maybe I don't understand. We already have a node for the document. The Application node is the root of the tree. There's only one and I don't think there's any utility to it.
2: remove headers completely
3: make the description text show as a tooltip with a 400 millisecond delay on mouse focus.
4. Remove the description column so the object label can occupy the entire width of the panel.

+1
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

sliptonic wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:46 pm Maybe I don't understand. We already have a node for the document. The Application node is the root of the tree. There's only one and I don't think there's any utility to it.
Sorry, i was posting (incorrectly, it seems) from memory. I agree completely.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I see that the headline costs real estate.
I don't see where the description column costs real estate and thus I don't see how removing it will save space. I make the widget smaller and that's it::
Attachments
SnipScreenshot-07aca5.png
SnipScreenshot-07aca5.png (36.71 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

chrisb wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:58 pm I don't see where the description column costs real estate and thus I don't see how removing it will save space. I make the widget smaller and that's it::
True. Column resize is disabled and it favors the first column.

Still, since Label2 is a hidden property and, it appears, hardly anyone is using it for descriptions, It makes more sense to put it into a tooltip and ditch the second column. It's cleaner.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

chrisb wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:58 pm I see that the headline costs real estate.
I don't see where the description column costs real estate and thus I don't see how removing it will save space. I make the widget smaller and that's it::
If the property is filled out, it will take up UI space, additionally, if an overlay style form of the tree view, such as found in linkstage, is ever implemented it will become a problem. Implementing this type of change now essentially loses nothing and would make such a future change as overlay less problematic down the road, in my opinion.

I'm of the mind that anything which effectively minimizes interface in relation to the work area without negative impact, it is good. No matter how minimal that is.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

obelisk79 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:09 pm If the property is filled out, it will take up UI space,
That's probably what it's all about: If the property is filled out, then because someone wants to show it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.