ASM4 - SCREW PLACEMENT TUTORIAL

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Bernard19

ASM4 - SCREW PLACEMENT TUTORIAL

Post by Bernard19 »

Hello
Some of you may have followed my journey through the discussions on this post. viewtopic.php?t=77339
The idea is to share and through this first document, I offer you as part of my feedback on ASM4, this little memo on the positioning of the screws.
I start this operation under word. Currently the text is in French because it is my mother tongue. Others are planned so that as many people as possible can use this workshop without apprehension because it is awesome.

there may be other possibilities to carry out this screw placement operation and your feedback and ideas will be appreciated.
Attachments
ASM4 - PLACEMENT DE LA VISSERIE.docx
(280.01 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
ppemawm
Veteran

Re: ASM4 - SCREW PLACEMENT TUTORIAL

Post by ppemawm »

Thank you for taking the time and effort to create this tutorial.
Bernard19 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:25 am there may be other possibilities to carry out this screw placement operation...
One word of caution. If you attach hole axis and fasteners to any edge of the model then if you make changes to any of its features it is likely that the fastener will jump to a new location. IMHO it is better to attach the hole axis to the sketch edge that creates the hole. That way, if you make any change to the pad, pocket, revolve, etc. properties then the fastener location will be unaffected. You still need to be careful if you have to change the sketch itself, however, since it may rename the sketch edge to which the hole axis is attached and may result in the same problem.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Bernard19 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:25 am there may be other possibilities to carry out this screw placement operation and your feedback and ideas will be appreciated.
Nice. I think that I have improved recently this workflow: once a HoleAxis is created, you can select it and then create a fastener, and this fastener is automagically attached to that HoleAxis. You still need to set its parameters. Also, you can duplicate an existing fastener by selecting it, and then selecting various HoleAxis which will duplicate (actually make links to) the first fastener. This is especially useful if you have many identical fasteners attached to many holes.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
ladis

Post by ladis »

Anything changed here? I remember it was working the way you are describing, however with v0.50.2 (which Addon Manager dialog claims to be 0.12.6?) Hole Axis cannot be used neither for fasteners nor "Place linked Part" dialog. Created Hole Axis is inside Body and thus invisible to both. Creating any new coordinate system inside Part makes it visible to both "Place linked Part" dialog and Fasteners workbench. How is that supposed to work currently?