helix/drilling selection oddity. [Not a bug]

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

helix/drilling selection oddity. [Not a bug]

Post by freman »

Hi,

I am find some odd behaviour selecting for helix path.

IIRC I selected the upper two ( congruent ) faces and went on the define the tool , depths etc in the UI.

I did not notice any anomalies at that time but I may not have noticed it was lining up on two holes not all four. I did check depths in std_RightView but again may have been focused on depth and failed to notice it did not give a path on four holes.

I created two drilling paths which show the same problem. I noticed something was wrong when I ran the backMtg-centres path on the machine and it snapped the centre drill in the work piece.

I went back to inspect the job and found the four hole surfaces where the upper and lower co-axial parts, not the four holes starting on the selected planar faces.

I thought I must have goofed up somehow and tried to correct the baseGeometry settings. I deleted to erroneous lower cylindrical faces and then tried to add ones I needed. The UI won't let me select Clone006.Face17 and Face8 I need, so I tried selecting the upper circular edges Edge25 and Edge8. NO path. Ah, maybe I need to select the lower edges: Edge52 and Edge30. NO path.

OK, I use Reset button and let FC work it out automatically. HUH? I still get the four concentric holes, not the four holes in the upper surface.

Never mind, it's a bit odd, I'll try editing the BaseGeometry entries. DblClick and edit, Face17 and Face8 .... Apply .... Hang on, not getting the paths. I select the entries in BaseGeometry to check the highlights in 3D view. They are picking up the lower concentric holes NOT the new faces shown in the UI.

I OK out and come back into edit mode and see the faces have reverted. Apparently you can edit the BaseGeometry entries but this is ignored by Path WB. It just does what it wants.

There seems to be something about the geometry of this part which is confusing the selection algo and it is being particular refractory to any manual corrections.

If I create either a new helix or drilling path I get the same results. It seems impossible to get paths on the two rear holes in this part !

Can someone confirm what is happening?

TIA.

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.0.32785 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 010e2ca37771fb9d89d513869baf520f89090204
Python 3.10.10, Qt 5.15.8, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk , OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Installed mods: 
  * FreeCAD_Assembly4 0.11.10
  * FreeCAD_assembly3
Attachments
helix-bug.png
helix-bug.png (156.08 KiB) Viewed 691 times
helix-bug.FCStd
(253.3 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Last edited by freman on Fri May 19, 2023 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freman
Veteran

Re: helix selection bugginess.

Post by freman »

Just checked with AppImage from March, same probs.

FreeCAD_weekly-builds-32637-2023-03-30-conda-Linux-x86_64-py310.AppImage

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.0.32637 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 7fa7cb7f0b222864be7416c683166876eab190bc
Python 3.10.10, Qt 5.15.8, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Installed mods: 
  * Assembly3 0.11.3
freman
Veteran

Re: helix selection bugginess.

Post by freman »

OK, I think I've figured out what is happening.

The problematic holes break through slightly at the bottom. This does not prevent drilling or milling but seems to upset FC.

That explains why it would not let me select the bottom edge because it's not , in fact, a circle. I missed that.

I suppose similar reasoning applies to the (mostly) cylindrical surface it would not let me select. I know these tools are rather simple minded.

I did manage to select the top edge of the rear holes so at least I can now get on with the job. 8-)

I thought it was somehow mistaking the lower hole surfaces for the rear ones. However, it just seems to pick them up anyway. I supposes that not actually a bug, though it is pretty useless since the helix of the upper and lower sections are mutually exclusive once you put depths in.

I'll amend the title of the thread.