Developers Handbook - intended scope & direction?

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
oursland

Re: Developers Handbook - intended scope & direction?

Post by oursland »

That failure message has been observed by all who run the command. The underlying failure has not been investigated yet, as the environment is successfully constructed.
grd

Post by grd »

I don't want to hijack your post but since we are talking about the Developers Handbook, maybe I can also add something to the Roadmap.

Right now the Roadmap is only a wish-list to me. It is not concrete. How can you make it concrete? By adding RFCs to it. How? Take a look at this:

Code: Select all

2. Modern UI concepts

1. Eg “pie menu”
    2. Context menus
    3. Ribbon Bar
This is not concrete, but if you make it look like this then it becomes concrete and also much more visible to anyone:

Code: Select all

2. Modern UI concepts

1. Eg “pie menu” - #515
    2. Context menus - #301
    3. Ribbon Bar - #15
What is now this number at the end? It is a link to a RFC, in the first case it's RFC #515.

What is a RFC? A RFC is a Request For Comments. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Request_for_Comments

In fact, a RFC is a github issue, just like a FreeCAD issue. In the programming language Nim they store the RFCs separate from the main github. https://github.com/nim-lang/RFCs Go to issues and you see the list of open RFCs and then you can also create a new issue, push the button and then you see the content of a new RFC.

What are the benefits of a RFC?
- You need to think very carefully when you create a RFC, so you are probably not making many mistakes.
- Anyone can see who is involved.
- It is a github issue.
- The discussion takes place at github, not here.
- This is linked to the Roadmap, so the RFC is visible.
- When it is done you can strike it out.
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
grd

Post by grd »

I knew that I forgot something in my previous remark about RFCs, but I didn't know what. Now I know ;)

You guys have already been working on the things that you want to do and you created issues as well, so I suggest to add the issue to the end of the line, like I said in my previous post. It doesn't need to be a RFC, but then still people know what is going on and I think that is important :!: :!: :!:

FreeCAD already has a issue management system in github, but no RFC. I know a RFC is not that different from a issue, but a RFC is specifically about new functionality or a change of functionality, and the word RFC means something to a guy because when you see a list of RFCs you see a list of progress :D

A RFC is NOT a issue, it is only stored as a issue in github, and that is why I think that a RFC is better stored as a separate github repository. Think about https://github.com/FreeCAD/RFCs

And keep in mind that a RFC can be used in any document, but you need to link that document of course to the RFC and in the RFC you need to add a link to the document, vice versa.

That is all.
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

I have to say that for those of us who've worked in an ITIL environment, RFC stands for Request For Change
grd

Post by grd »

Syres wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:48 pm I have to say that for those of us who've worked in an ITIL environment, RFC stands for Request For Change
Yes, you are right. Sorry.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Syres wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:48 pm RFC stands for Request For Change
for us that's an RFD: Request For Deviation
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
grd

Post by grd »

Zolko wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:41 pm for us that's an RFD: Request For Deviation
But you like my idea?
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

grd wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:43 pm
Zolko wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:41 pm for us that's an RFD: Request For Deviation
But you like my idea?
I do.
Let's update the handbook. PRs welcome
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

We've tried something like that before and it doesn't work: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Enha ... -Proposals, IMO if we do that we are only worsening the problem by splitting things into even more places, instead we could direct those to github discussions on the main repo or just plain old issues.
grd

Post by grd »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:24 pm We've tried something like that before and it doesn't work: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Enha ... -Proposals, IMO if we do that we are only worsening the problem by splitting things into even more places, instead we could direct those to github discussions on the main repo or just plain old issues.
Yes, i saw that one too. It is very empty... Well then just add the issue number.