PieMenu (v2.0)

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
OttFu

Re: PieMenu (v2.0)

Post by OttFu »

i have the same issue like @BartR

in my console is shown:
14:58:09 Traceback (most recent call last):
14:58:09 File "<string>", line 655, in showAtMouse
14:58:09 File "<string>", line 1035, in updateCommands
14:58:09 KeyError: "No such workbench 'Workbench'"
BartR

Post by BartR »

Should I consider this package deadware?
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

I'm on Linux Mint 22.04
I have installed install using:

Code: Select all

cd ~/.local/share/FreeCAD/Mod

git clone https://github.com/mdkus/PieMenu
and it seems to work
My FC info:

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.0.32929 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 1dcc58c4b1c51c50215639ca58326f6b69867743
Python 3.10.10, Qt 5.15.8, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * Manipulator 1.5.0
  * PieMenu 1.2.7
  * kicadStepUpMod 10.18.8
OttFu

Post by OttFu »

it was working before and show me the menu but after a crash of freecad, because the PieMenu freezes, then it didn't work.

i work on a Win10 system
BartR

Post by BartR »

No wy to make it work ... using TAB it's not occurring anything.
I uninstalled it, re-installed etc: no way.

Solution: remove it forever.

Post by chippy »

PieMenu is working fine on Linux Mint for me. I have a question though:

Currently there are two 'trigger' options, 'press' and 'hover'. However I seek a 'release' option. I have a very basic level in C-programming, but Python is new to me. Can someone give me some guidance on how to implement this?

For clarity, here are the two current pie-menu-selection trigger-behaviors (1 and 2), and the one I would like to add (3):

Currently, the user presses tab to invoke the pie menu, then it is possible to choose different behaviors from the 'trigger' menu. These are:

1. Press: Select an option from the pie-menu by clicking it.
2. Hover: Select an option from the pie-menu by touching it with the mouse cursor.

The one I would like to add is:

3. Release: Select an option from the pie-menu by moving the mouse cursor over the option and then releasing the 'tab' button (which originally summoned the menu). The item is selected only on the release of the tab key.

If this is unclear: It is the default behavior of Blender pie-menus. Not that I hold Blender as the Lord Of All Things, but simply that Blender implements pie-menus in the most intuitive way (I feel).

Thanks!
Junkhead

Post by Junkhead »

BartR wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:38 am No wy to make it work ... using TAB it's not occurring anything.

I also faced this problem. Probably, the reason lies in the interface language, which differs from English. To make Pie menu work again, open the menu Tools > Edit parameters > Pie menu and delete the text key "ToolBar". It worked for me this way. If you set up Pie menu in the English interface, then switch to your native language, everything works fine. I hope I helped you and other people.
Junkhead

Post by Junkhead »

mdkus wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:31 am Hi,

as new maintainer of the PieMenu addon, which can be installed via the Addon Manager, i'd like to introduce the development plan for the future.

The goal is to combine the advantages of triplus' earlier PieMenu module and realthunder's integrated PieMenu in 'FreeCAD Link' and go further beyond. It intends to be a pure python module which can be installed via the Addon Manager.

Actually I can say, that the upcoming version 1.2 will contain invokable pie menus with different short keys. First tests are positive. :)

The development process is accomponied by my YouTube channel, where tutorial videos are shown.

Feel free to make suggestions or any other comments.

Greetings

Michael
Hi! Thank you for this addition. I recently purchased a 3d space mouse for myself and this addition helped me to some extent to give up using the keyboard. But not really. What I would like to add:
  • It seems to me that it is necessary for the menu to be selected automatically taking into account the current workbench, such as Sketcher, Part Design or Part. If you switch the menu manually, a lot of time and movements are spent.
  • Next, I would like to suggest something similar to what chippy offers, but so that the menu is active only while the Tab key is pressed, and when the key is released, the menu disappears, regardless of whether something is selected or not. This is necessary so as not to waste a click if I called up the menu and changed my mind about choosing something.
  • I would also add the ability to add a second and third ring of icons around the main one. For example, in the workbench, specify constraints with the first ring and add geometry with the second. But then the hover selection method will be quite difficult.
There are many more thoughts about improving the interface, I can write if you are interested. I think it will not be so easy to implement, but it can bring the functionality of freecad to a higher level.
chippy

Post by chippy »

Junkhead wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:37 am I would like to suggest something similar to what chippy offers, but so that the menu is active only while the Tab key is pressed, and when the key is released, the menu disappears, regardless of whether something is selected or not.
It would be great to get a proper pie-menu system implemented in FreeCAD.
We could eliminate most of the current UI clutter with a good pie menu system.
BartR

Post by BartR »

Junkhead wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:03 am
BartR wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:38 am No wy to make it work ... using TAB it's not occurring anything.

I also faced this problem. Probably, the reason lies in the interface language, which differs from English. To make Pie menu work again, open the menu Tools > Edit parameters > Pie menu and delete the text key "ToolBar". It worked for me this way. If you set up Pie menu in the English interface, then switch to your native language, everything works fine. I hope I helped you and other people.
Thank you, this worked fine