Oval stock

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tomtom24

Oval stock

Post by tomtom24 »

Hello FreeCAD Forum ,

is there a possibility to use own stock forms? For example ovals?

Kind regards
:)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Oval stock

Post by chrisb »

tomtom24 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:23 pm is there a possibility to use own stock forms? For example ovals?
Of course! Start in Sketcher with an oval, pad it, and then remove what you don't need with additional subtractive features.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

chrisb wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:34 pm
tomtom24 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:23 pm is there a possibility to use own stock forms? For example ovals?
Of course! Start in Sketcher with an oval, pad it, and then remove what you don't need with additional subtractive features.
Just to clarify a bit for new users who might read this. ;)

Make sure to create the sketch from the Part Design workbench toolbars.

Selecting the Sketcher workbench and creating a sketch will create a sketch outside the Part Design Body and this will confuse you.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
tomtom24

Post by tomtom24 »

Oh, I am sorry, I guess I have to precise my question to beware you of missuderstanding :)

I created a object the regular way in CAD, now, I want to start a CAM-Path.

The options building up a path are cylinder or box. I would like to optimize ToolPath AND beware of to much z-depth which is not needed.
As an Example: A spoon. To mill out the form, I want just to mill out the inner form, without touching the outer because this is what will happen in step 2 as I don't use rotational axis on this.

So, I just wonder if it is possible, to define a Stock with the form of the (needed) red colored area below, as The outter paths are not needed. Or can I use any othere than §D-Surface for this job?

I am using FreeCAD 0.21.0 rev 32110
Unbenannt-2.png
Unbenannt-2.png (477.49 KiB) Viewed 605 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Path forum. Posting here would have avoided the misunderstanding.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

When creating the job, you can choose which kind of stock you want, default is "Extend model's bound box". You can use "Use existng solid" instead, but perhaps this isn't even necessary. Have a look at the Profile operation, it is just going around the outer shape.