Inaccuracy in Assembly 4

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Batucada

Inaccuracy in Assembly 4

Post by Batucada »

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.0.32457 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 85216bd12730bbc4c3cbf8f0bc50416ab1556cbb
Python 3.10.9, Qt 5.15.8, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: C/Default (C)
Installed mods: 
  * Behave-Dark-Colors 0.1.1
  * CurvedShapes 1.0.4
  * Help 1.0.3
  * Assembly4 0.12.3
When working in Assembly 4, one cannot avoid using the editor "Place linked Part". If in FreeCAD the basic setting of 5 decimal places is allowed, then this setting should also be taken over by the editor "Place linked Part".
editor. But far from it, you have to be content with 2 decimal places.
FC Place Linked Part.png
FC Place Linked Part.png (109.67 KiB) Viewed 879 times
I put up with this until I discovered the reprehensible bug inherent in the Assembly 4 system. For in the view
FC Assemby Daten.png
FC Assemby Daten.png (95.66 KiB) Viewed 879 times
there was indeed the possibility to enter the values with the corresponding accuracy. The nasty part of the story is that if you have to switch back to the editor "Place linked Part" because you forgot a rotation, the previously set accuracies are lost.

The demand must therefore be that Assembly 4 adopts the settings in the FreeCAD system and does not make any changes to the data entered elsewhere. The demand for more decimal places is not exaggerated. After all, when dealing with small objects in the range of 1 to 2 inches, 2 decimal places are completely out of the question; 1 mm expressed in inches already has the value of 0.03975 inches. The value of 1/10 mm can no longer be expressed in inches.
onekk
Veteran

Re: Inaccuracy in Assembly 4

Post by onekk »

Hello, probably the proper place were to report problems is the link below:

https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_Assembly4/issues

@Zolko is quite active here, so maybe you could simply wait.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Batucada

Post by Batucada »

Oh, there's no urgent need. I know how to manage for the moment. But I think the aspect I found is worthy of attention because in this world not everything is expressed in millimetres.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Batucada wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:50 pm But far from it, you have to be content with 2 decimal places
that's false, I have 3 decimals :

decimals.png
decimals.png (247.81 KiB) Viewed 809 times
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Batucada

Post by Batucada »

Zolko wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:36 pm
Batucada wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:50 pm But far from it, you have to be content with 2 decimal places
that's false, I have 3 decimals :
Do you have any idea why this difference occurs?

It is nice for you to have 3 decimal places. I have only managed 2 digits so far! Explain to me why you are already one decimal place better than me.

If it is the matter of a setting, I have tried in vain to find it so far. But to be able to work in inches, it should be 5 decimal places.
rmn_hr

Post by rmn_hr »

Seems to be an issue in Mac-world.

In FC-0.21.32637 on Windows10 this settings are shown correctly in FreeCAD and ASM4

Altered my settings in Preferences / General / Units
Unit system: Imperial decimal (in/lb)
Number of decimals: 16 (this is the maximum number of decimals)

16 decimals are shown in ComboView for all placement / attachment values (x, y, z, Angle)
and during part import in 'Place linked Part'-form for x, y, z also
My workflow: create single components in PartDesign and arrange them with Zolko's Assembly4
(https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_Assembly4 )

FreeCAD works pretty well and stable for me !! :)
Hymn of Praise valid again since FreeCAD 0.22.35449
Batucada

Post by Batucada »

rmn_hr wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:32 pm Seems to be an issue in Mac-world.
I don't think it's a Mac-specific problem. The problem lies deeper. Why? The FreeCAD application is based on a cross-platform, which apparently does not manage to compensate for all the differences between the target operating systems, residuals remain, that is just the shortcoming one has to live with in FreeCAD. There are several more such problems with the colour palettes, so I make notes to design the colouring of individual objects. Shouldn't be necessary, but it is.

I have just had another new experience. Previously I had used this setting:
Unit system: Imperial decimal (in/lb).

I have changed this setting to:
Unit system: US customary (in/lb)

This looks very similar, so that one could assume that there is no difference between these two settings. But this is not the case. The surprise came with the first trial application. Behind this setting is an automatic system, starting with the smallest unit of length of 1/1000 inch (thou), which is then also equipped with 2 decimal places - what a comfort :D Thus, if I enter e.g. 3132.5 thou in "Place linked Part", the later display in "ComboView" will match 3.1325", because the conversion is allowed. For smaller values (< 1 inch) such as 31.2 thou, conversion does not take place. I would not have expected that and it helps me immensely.