Texture mapping

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
UbunTux

Re: Texture mapping

Post by UbunTux »

No, it's deliberately checked "random" in the Design Preferences.

It allows to better differentiate the parts of a project. When I create a new Body, it appears differently from the previous one. I can immediately visualize the effect of a protusion. If the color fits, I keep it, if not, then I change them.
wakyct

Post by wakyct »

I'm wondering what are some tips for using images as textures? I've tried the easy thing, using the setTexture macro from @dprojects on the whole object, but there probably are some settings (grain direction maybe? scaling?) I might be able to play with, but don't know where to look.
cabinet_with_texture.png
cabinet_with_texture.png (25.4 KiB) Viewed 299 times
fir.jpg
fir.jpg (10.95 KiB) Viewed 299 times
What does that word mean in FreeCAD? Look in the Glossary.
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

wakyct wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:44 pm on the whole object, but there probably are some settings (grain direction maybe? scaling?
If you apply texture at the object you can set fit mode to Cube for example, to fit the edges better. Also if you apply texture at Array, or any more complex object, make a note, the texture might be applied at many Cube objects. You can play with applying texture at Base object or Body, or other objects. Sometimes If you apply texture at Base object it works much better.

Scaling is fine but if the texture is not ready to use it as pattern there will be visible edge.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking