too much messages

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Batucada

too much messages

Post by Batucada »

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.0.32457 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 85216bd12730bbc4c3cbf8f0bc50416ab1556cbb
Python 3.10.9, Qt 5.15.8, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: C/Default (C)
Installed mods: 
  * Behave-Dark-Colors 0.1.1
  * CurvedShapes 1.0.4
  * Help 1.0.3
  * Assembly4 0.12.3
There are so many messages. More than half a year ago, I learned to ignore a large part of the messages. The really important message got lost in the shuffle. At that time I made myself unpopular by expressing harsh and biting criticism. I continue to work with FreeCAD because I do not want to destroy my investment of life time. But my mistake was to download the latest version last week. Now there are more messages whose meaning I cannot grasp. For example, this one:
QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QWidget "", which already has a layout.
I'm building a model under Assembly 4, which has worked very well in the past, and now actually, if it weren't for these damn messages. In addition to the old output window, there is now another output window, which displays, among other things, the previously mentioned message.

Dear people, if you want to improve FreeCAD, then first remove the old quirks, e.g. that PolarPattern finally works without a workaround. I don't need a new message window with messages that I can't make sense of anyway!

Dear chrisb, you don't have to answer me unless you give me a tip on how to turn off this damn new message window.
Syres
Veteran

Re: too much messages

Post by Syres »

Edit>Preferences>General>Notification Area, look at the top two tick boxes.
Batucada

Post by Batucada »

Thank You
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Batucada wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:40 amThank You
Maybe you just learned about things that may happen when using a development version. :mrgreen:
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

openBrain wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:07 am Maybe you just learned about things that may happen when using a development version. :mrgreen:
It's called feedback. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Gene
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Batucada wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:36 am QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QWidget ""
should we be filtering this warning too?
Batucada

Post by Batucada »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:09 pm
I cannot understand what this message means. For me, FreeCAD runs "normally", I have no hindrance before and after when this message appears. Only the message is irritating. It may be that the message is interesting for the developers, but I lack the insight into the context.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:09 pm
Batucada wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:36 am QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QWidget ""
Typically kind of messages that should be there in debug builds but not presented to user on release builds IMO.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Usual warning:

a development version is WIP so there could be some "intermediate states" before a refined code is implemented.

Development version is quite usable an relatively safe to use in everyday and not "mission critical" jobs.

However for what you have payed to use FreeCAD you receive more than you have invested on it. (That sadly is near 0 in money or even in contribution like proper bug reports, Wiki pages, help to other users and similar trivial things)

Kind regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/