Google Summer of Code 2023 - Coding! Up to July 10th

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Google Summer of Code 2023 - Deadline april 4th

Post by yorik »

hlorus wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:26 am I ment expanding in terms of splitting the workload of 175h over a longer period. Basically what's written on the GSoC website (https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/programs/2023):
"The standard timeline accounts for 12 week coding projects. Mentors and GSoC Contributors can agree to extend the coding period up to 22 weeks. "
Indeed, from https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/faq:
The GSoC 2023 program has some flexibility in the schedule for projects. The length of time allowed to complete a project can range from 10 weeks to 22 weeks. The standard length will be 12 weeks, however, GSoC Contributors and their mentors can decide together if a project should be extended to end a couple of weeks/months later.

The program start date cannot be changed, everyone will begin the program at the same time.

You and your mentor may jointly agree to adjust the scheduling of milestones or weekly work schedule to allow for some flexibility within the overall program framework.

The first evaluation date is based at the halfway point of your expected project timeline (after 6 weeks for projects in the standard 12 week schedule).
AFAICS you can request a 22-week schedule, even after the project has started. From our point of view, there is no problem in doing so. But keep in mind that by doing so you are also requesting mentors time for a longer period, so I would suggest discussing the matter after the project has started and you know your mentors.

BTW, for everybody, links to students and mentors manuals: https://developers.google.com/open-sour ... ent_manual
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Google Summer of Code 2023 - Call for Ideas

Post by adrianinsaval »

hlorus wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:18 am This is more of an implementation detail. Afaik a global tool cannot and should not know anything about a geometry type that is defined in a workbench.
Generally this is true however this is a worthwhile exception, it wouldn't be the first either, see for example the persistent cut tool that is globally available on the "View" menu.

Personally I think we need more globally available tools that know about occt shapes, measurements being one of those.

Of course, this means you won't implement this on the FreeCAD App side, but rather on the Part module most likely.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

@hlorus very good proposal! For me you could file that as is. Maybe, although you mention working mostly on measurement, which is totally fine, I would add a few lines explaining how you imagine the measurement vs annotation/dimensioning paradigms could be approached, ie. propose something so the measurement structure could be used there too.
anthonychen1202

Post by anthonychen1202 »

Hello,
My name is Anthony Chen and I am currently a Master's student in Mechanical Engineering at Stony Brook University. I am interested in working on a project with the ideas from FEM: Extend Z88 Solver #8559. My background for this project consists of experience using 3D CAD programs like Solidworks and Fusion 360. I have also used the FEM/FEA tools in Solidworks and have taken graduate classes in FEM.

I became interested in getting into programming and software development last year by joining hackathons and I have used Python for about a year. I have never contributed to open source before, but I would love to combine my new knowledge from programming with my knowledge from my Mechanical Engineering background to improve the FEM tools in FreeCAD.

If there is anyway to get some feedback on some projects ideas I have before submitting a proposal, I would love to share!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Welcome @anthonychen1202!
I would consider donovaly's comment on the github issue... Maybe there is a better plan possible. There is a dedicated FEM section here on this forum where the FEM gurus are... Maybe ask for ideas/opinions there? You could quickly grab good ideas.
tanahy

Post by tanahy »

Hi everyone!

My name is Tanausú Hernández, PhD student in physics at the Polish Academy of Sciences. I know I am a bit late to the party but I would like to participate in the GSoC with @sliptonic idea of on-machine inspection for the Path workbench. I am particularly interested in extending it to post-process 3D printed pieces, as I was in fact thinking something like this would be very neat some years ago.

I was a member of a hackerspace where I did a lot of 3D printing, laser cutting and a tiny bit of CNC machining, although now with the PhD I barely have time to do anything else so I'm hoping this project gives me a good excuse to go back to the maker world. My idea is to allocate a full vacation month for this, so I can only work on medium-sized projects (175h).

My programming background is basically Python since I use it on a daily basis for scientific research. I have dabbled in other languages like javascript and C++ but I don't have much experience with those.

What is the best way to get quick feedback for my proposal? Should I send the draft proposal on the GSoC website or is it better to do PMs, write something in the forum, IRC or discord?

Best,
Tana
Siddharth

Post by Siddharth »

Hello! I'm Siddharth Lal from India, I'm a python developer and currently I'm doing my bachelor's in CS Major, and I wish to contribute to FreeCAD and become useful to the community. As of now I'm testing the software and going through the repo. Since very less time left to the deadline, can a mentor please guide me which areas require unit testing or any other areas that require python so I can quickly go through them?
senyasuper

Post by senyasuper »

Hello everyone! My name is Arsenii and I'm applying for GSoC with topic related to GUI for fetching online content https://github.com/opencax/GSoC/issues/39. I'm a civil engineer and currently studying on BIM Master program BIMA+. Here is my first version of proposal. But it is brief in a way of storage implementation and I'd also add some vision of future of this project. Anyway I'll be thankful for any feedback
Attachments
GUI for fetching online content in FreeCAD with Python (1).pdf
(703.51 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Welcome @tanahy @Siddharth @senyasuper !

@tanahy You can always post it here or under a corresponding github issue if there is one, if you are ok with everybody looking at it. Otherwise, you can send it by PM to any of the devs working in the area of your proposal.

@Siddharth I think @chennes , maybe @openBrain, @Kunda1 or @ickby could indicate areas where python unit tests could be useful. But one first step you could do yourself is look at what is already available, and if any workbench seems to have few tests or is entirely missing unit tests.

@senyasuper this looks very good to me! @chennes you might want to have a look?
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

yorik wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:34 pm @senyasuper this looks very good to me! @chennes you might want to have a look?
Love it! Just a note that it's not just STEP files up there: in many cases they are FreeCAD *.FCStd files, which we of course want to support! You'll be using the PySide GUI framework (and will have to take care that you support PySide2 and PySide6, which FreeCAD makes pretty simple). And we definitely will want to support both "official" cloud storage and local storage, as well as possibly 3rd-part cloud storage (though that could be someone else's add-on project down the road).
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com