Use assembly4 to repeatedly create and connect parts

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
revanas

Use assembly4 to repeatedly create and connect parts

Post by revanas »

Hi all,
hopefully this is the right place to ask a question regarding assembly4 otherwise please move it accordingly.

I´m currently learning assembly4 by designing a carport. Doing all the steps by hand is not realy an issue for the underlying/base construction. But now i´ve finally come to the roof boarding.

As the roof boarding consists of plenty of boards, it would be nice to for example add one part and then repeatedly add parts to the corresponding LCS.

<LCS_Start> Board1 <LCS_End> - <LCS_Start> Board2 <LCS_End> - ...
ForumQuestions_RepeatedlyAddRoofBoarding.png
ForumQuestions_RepeatedlyAddRoofBoarding.png (69.28 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
Is this possible?

Thanks
Zolko
Veteran

Re: Use assembly4 to repeatedly create and connect parts

Post by Zolko »

revanas wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:06 am As the roof boarding consists of plenty of boards, it would be nice to for example add one part and then repeatedly add parts to the corresponding LCS.

Is this possible?
did you try a linear array ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
revanas

Post by revanas »

Zolko wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:48 am
revanas wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:06 am As the roof boarding consists of plenty of boards, it would be nice to for example add one part and then repeatedly add parts to the corresponding LCS.

Is this possible?
did you try a linear array ?
Hey, sorry for the late reply. I thought that would be the most likely solution but it´s grayed out even if I select the object (part) I would like to place.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

revanas wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:01 pm
Zolko wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:48 am did you try a linear array ?
I thought that would be the most likely solution but it´s grayed out even if I select the object (part) I would like to place.
you need to select the object and the direction (while holding CTRL may-be)
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

revanas wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:01 pm Hey, sorry for the late reply. I thought that would be the most likely solution but it´s grayed out even if I select the object (part) I would like to place.
You need to select two objects. First the object to clone. Second a object representing the direction. That could be one of the axis in a LCS, an axis in an Origin object or a straight edge. If you select a plane or a circle the direction will follow the normal.
After you activated the Linear Array you can edit the properties Count and Linear Step of the array object.
To place the last clone at a specific distance, for example 300 mm, set the expression on Linear Step to:

Code: Select all

300 / Count
revanas

Post by revanas »

Jolbas wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:15 pm You need to select two objects. First the object to clone. Second a object representing the direction. That could be one of the axis in a LCS, an axis in an Origin object or a straight edge. If you select a plane or a circle the direction will follow the normal.
After you activated the Linear Array you can edit the properties Count and Linear Step of the array object.
To place the last clone at a specific distance, for example 300 mm, set the expression on Linear Step to:

Code: Select all

300 / Count
That´s not working for any reason, I´ve created an Axis inside the object, than I selected the object (part) hold STRG and selected the Axis. Option is still disabled :(
ForumQuestions_RepeatedlyAddRoofBoarding_2.png
ForumQuestions_RepeatedlyAddRoofBoarding_2.png (40.23 KiB) Viewed 739 times
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

Currently the axis must reside in the same "GeoFeatureGroup" as the object. That is the same coordinate system. Your Axis is inside the Dashshalung002 which means it depends on the placement of Dashshalung002. I can see the advantage but there is a high risk for messing things up. Make the axis a sibling to Dashshalung002 and it is going to work
revanas

Post by revanas »

Jolbas wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:04 pm Currently the axis must reside in the same "GeoFeatureGroup" as the object. That is the same coordinate system. Your Axis is inside the Dashshalung002 which means it depends on the placement of Dashshalung002. I can see the advantage but there is a high risk for messing things up. Make the axis a sibling to Dashshalung002 and it is going to work
Thank you! That worked :)