Text on Part?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ronyd

Text on Part?

Post by ronyd »

MacOS, freecad 0.20.2

I want to place text on the polygon.

1. create body, sketch for polygon.
2. created pad and checked reversed in order for the polygon to be on the bottom of the text.
3. created the text in Draft workbench
4. positioned text.
5. I noticed that the ShapeString was same level as the Body. So i moved the ShapeString into the body. Thinking i could then manipulate the ShapeString in the Part Design workbench.

Now when i pad the ShapeString, it disappears, get a recompute failed message. select OK and tells me multiple objects are not supported.

I'm assuming because in item #5 moved into the Body?

Do I need another sketch for the Text?

This will be a drum badge attached to the exterior of the drum. (see attached pic a drum with badge, but mine will be a polygon shape). Not sure how to cut out the back of the polygon to fit the curvature of the drum?

still so much to learn....
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 10.12.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 10.12.12 AM.png (370.74 KiB) Viewed 658 times
Drum Badge 1.FCStd
(19.84 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Text on Part?

Post by drmacro »

Assuming the ShapeString is appropriately closed profile, no overlaps, T intersections, etc. it can be used in a Pad/Pocket/etc. with no sketch.

For a Pocket, it must not create multiple solids. This would void the single solid rule of Part Design.

Your pad operation must be such that all portions of the resulting letters will touch the previously existing solid.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230328_110414.png
Screenshot_20230328_110414.png (38.63 KiB) Viewed 631 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

either make a Pocket with the letters
either make a Pad in Part Wb and an add bolleen , or subtract boolleen
the 2em is faster to have letters of another color than the badge
in both cases, make the letters less thick than the badge so as not to lose the center of the O and the P
Attachments
badge.JPG
badge.JPG (22.67 KiB) Viewed 614 times
badge.FCStd
(149.34 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
wieszak17

Post by wieszak17 »

Also check photoetching technology and similiar ones. If badge is not going to be extra thick, then do it as flat and bend when assembling to drum.
ronyd

Post by ronyd »

wieszak17 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:11 pm Also check photoetching technology and similiar ones. If badge is not going to be extra thick, then do it as flat and bend when assembling to drum.
great idea thankx!!
ronyd

Post by ronyd »

papyblaise wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:27 pm either make a Pocket with the letters
in both cases, make the letters less thick than the badge so as not to lose the center of the O and the P
thankx very much for your help !!
ronyd

Post by ronyd »

papyblaise wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:27 pm either make a Pocket with the letters
color changes:
If I Select pad or text, right clicked Appearance and changed color. Color not applied? It just happened that i changed text positions, and colors then applied?

Is there a setting for this to apply when Appearance dialog is closed?
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

to change the colors, I couldn't find better than to erase the cut, change the colors of each element and redo the cut
at least that's a solution
Attachments
badge jaune.JPG
badge jaune.JPG (15.93 KiB) Viewed 365 times
ronyd

Post by ronyd »

papyblaise wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:34 pm to change the colors, I couldn't find better than to erase the cut, change the colors of each element and redo the cut
at least that's a solution
OK, thankx for checking!! I thought maybe doing a recompute on the object would refresh the object also.

Also, I guess if I wanted to change the text, I probably need to delete and redo the cut? I created my own badge with multiple text, created a union, then did a cut. Unfortuntley, i can't attach the file because it exceeds the 1MB limit.

thankx again!!