What's your usability/workflow tip a beginner should know?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wakyct

Re: What's your usability/workflow tip a beginner should know?

Post by wakyct »

ppemawm wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:03 am It would be helpful if we knew what your primary CAD interest is, i.e. mechanical, electrical, architectural, 3D printing, etc., and whether you want to dabble in it or be serious about it. Then, we could give more specific advice
Good tips in your post ppemawm, thank you! (as for me I installed FC to help with a cabinet side project -- I have other interests too, but I intended this thread to be of general interest and not just for my specific case).

I found another good tip today that I'll add -- I was having trouble picking vertices when adding constraints, but didn't know that:
Roy_043 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:08 pm You can increase the "Point Size" (View tab of the Property editor) of the geometry you want to reference before entering the sketch.
What does that word mean in FreeCAD? Look in the Glossary.
rich61

Re: What's your usability/workflow tip a beginner should know?

Post by rich61 »

1. Look closely at the structure and nesting under Combo View Model.

Also, on the Combo View panels, read which properties are available for Sketch, Part, etc. See the list of constrains in the combo view panel, clicking them highlights a constraint, you can enable and disable. Sometimes when things don't make sense it can help troubleshoot what's on the screen. Every element in the Model Tree has its properties, very educational.

2. Check out the top line drop down menus for the current workbench you are using. Alt-P for Part Design, etc. Sometimes a phrase is better than a toolbar icon, at least early on.