Cabinet furniture design tools workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wakyct

Re: Cabinet furniture design tools workbench

Post by wakyct »

Yeah I can't think of a different one, and even if I did it probably would be inaccurate in some other language :)
What does that word mean in FreeCAD? Look in the Glossary.
wakyct

Post by wakyct »

I've made a first draft of my cabinet, and I'm searching around for a good way to make a hinged door animation. I don't quite understand the transform tool enough to move the axis of rotation, to do it the manual way (the transform axis is in the center of the door -- I guess I have to move it somehow to the edge?).

Mostly I used the panel tools, magicMove and moveToFace, and LinkGroups. Sometimes moveToFace gives me unexpected results -- I'll have to figure out how to make a GIF to show it. And the size isn't parametric really -- I should figure out how to get the dimensions from a spreadsheet.

I also was wondering if there's a way to align panels to sketch geometry? Like if I want to place a panel at the line of a sketch, sort of like moveToFace.

Next is to figure out cut lists and drawings :)
cabinet.png
cabinet.png (3.99 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

wakyct wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:35 am to make a hinged door animation
You can put all door parts inside LinkGroup and use magicaAgle to rotate all parts. I think this is the easiest and quickest way to preview simple movements.

wakyct wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:35 am Sometimes moveToFace gives me unexpected results
Yes, especially for rotated objects. This is not solved yet, maybe someday.

wakyct wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:35 am I also was wondering if there's a way to align panels to sketch geometry?
There is no such thing yet. There is FreeCAD external geometry, as far as I know, but it not works with any objects.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
txtinman

Fixture repository adding

Post by txtinman »

I want to practice modelling the install of fixtures like angles in the "Angles, Pilot holes, Screws" video, but I don't know how to make the example angles available on my computer. I assume I download them from dproject's woodworking git hub. Are there specific directories to put the files in so FreeCAD will find them? Or does it matter where they are stored?
dprojects

Re: Fixture repository adding

Post by dprojects »

txtinman wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:50 pm I want to practice modelling the install of fixtures like angles in the "Angles, Pilot holes, Screws" video, but I don't know how to make the example angles available on my computer. I assume I download them from dproject's woodworking git hub. Are there specific directories to put the files in so FreeCAD will find them? Or does it matter where they are stored?
If you have installed the Woodworking workbench, the Fixture repository is already there. You can copy the content anywhere at your local HDD and make it available at your project using FreeCAD merge option.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
txtinman

Re: Fixture repository adding

Post by txtinman »

dprojects wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:51 pm
txtinman wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:50 pm I want to practice modelling the install of fixtures like angles in the "Angles, Pilot holes, Screws" video, but I don't know how to make the example angles available on my computer. I assume I download them from dproject's woodworking git hub. Are there specific directories to put the files in so FreeCAD will find them? Or does it matter where they are stored?
If you have installed the Woodworking workbench, the Fixture repository is already there. You can copy the content anywhere at your local HDD and make it available at your project using FreeCAD merge option.
Thanks Darek. I did find the files. I copied them to a temp dir until I knew better. I didn't know about the merge option, that works well. Do you have a preferred directory tree for your FreeCAD work flow?
txtinman

Question about icons

Post by txtinman »

I see on the woodworking workbench there are three icons with green brackets, two with red brackets and one with a red square around it. What is the significance of the brackets and their color?
wakyct

Re: Question about icons

Post by wakyct »

txtinman wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:48 pm I see on the woodworking workbench there are three icons with green brackets, two with red brackets and one with a red square around it. What is the significance of the brackets and their color?
Not sure exactly without a screenshot but in general the bracketed icons refer to Links/LinkGroups. But are the mouse hover tool tips not working for you?
txtinman

Post by txtinman »

Hover works and I know what the tools are, I'm not clear on the meaning of the brackets and I don't remember reading about them either.
wakyct

Post by wakyct »

I guess I don't understand the question. But to me brackets are used for grouping things, like a LinkGroup does, so I'd guess that's the meaning.