Pocket Operation "Start at" not working

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ModuloFS

Pocket Operation "Start at" not working

Post by ModuloFS »

Hello,

Attached is my Freecad file with the Path operation i want to use. I am using the pocket operation of the path workbench. I have some trouble with the operation "Pocket_Shape003". This operation has to start at center and cutting outwards because if i start the other way around it cuts the material free and i get in some trouble with the lose part inside. Because of this i though the property "Start At" with the selection "Center" would be the right setting (picture in attachment). But it does not change the pocket operation, it starts on the outside again.
Is this the correct way to use this property or i am using it wrong? Is there any other solution to start the cutting from the inside out?
Attachments
Zwischenboden_Tonibox.FCStd
(250.92 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
FreeCAD_Pocket_Operation_Start_At.png
FreeCAD_Pocket_Operation_Start_At.png (164.26 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
bmsaus4ax

Re: Pocket Operation "Start at" not working

Post by bmsaus4ax »

ModuloFS wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:05 pm Hello,

Attached is my Freecad file with the Path operation i want to use. I am using the pocket operation of the path workbench. I have some trouble with the operation "Pocket_Shape003". This operation has to start at center and cutting outwards because if i start the other way around it cuts the material free and i get in some trouble with the lose part inside. Because of this i though the property "Start At" with the selection "Center" would be the right setting (picture in attachment). But it does not change the pocket operation, it starts on the outside again.
Is this the correct way to use this property or i am using it wrong? Is there any other solution to start the cutting from the inside out?
It logically should work this way but unfortunately it does not. :shock:

An alternative that works is to set the Start Point at the last line in your screen shot image. ( and Use Start Point = true, next entry )

With the operation highlighted , hover mouse pointer over the position you would like to start at , and note the coordinates in the Status bar on the bottom of the screen.
Enter these in the Start Point . X and Y positions only needed. The position does not have to be exact , but ideally as close as possible. The tool will initially position at your setting but move to the nearest path before continuing.

This is still not a foolproof solution because if there are an even number of step downs the last one will still create floating material with last cut.
Path starts alternate so that a new stepdown starts where the last finished. This is a long standing problem that will not be resolved soon.

The options now are, make sure you have an odd number of stepdowns and start at the centre (not the most reliable option),
or use the " Tag Dress-up " The safest method.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

With the current 0.21 (details below) I cannot load the file. I see an error message in report view and loading doesn't terminate. I have to kill FreeCAD.
On the starting terminal I see repeatedly this message:

Code: Select all

File "/Users/cb/Desktop/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.10/site-packages/shiboken2/files.dir/shibokensupport/feature.py", line 139, in _import
    return original_import(name, *args, **kwargs)
<class 'ModuleNotFoundError'>: No module named 'PathScripts.PathJobGui'
Please confirm.

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.0.32532 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 20e44eba50e1365b9e7bb9c5c244afe96a627a28
Python 3.10.10, Qt 5.15.8, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: C/Default (C)
Installed mods: 
  * FC_SU
  * DynamicData 2.46.0
  * freecad.gears 1.0.0
  * FeedsAndSpeeds 0.5.0
  * dxf-library
  * fcgear 1.0.0
  * fasteners 0.4.54
  * sheetmetal 0.2.62
  * ExplodedAssembly
  * Curves 0.6.8
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Problem half solved: The model was not migrated. Nevertheless I could load it into 32198, where it showed the errors as well, bit loading terminated.

I would rate the freezinng as a serious issue, because it is well possible that there are unedited changes in other tabs, which would be lost.

Loading the migrated file shows immediately one of the new non intrusive messages.

@abdullah, could that cause the problem? Then it may occur on other occasions as well.

To reproduce: just open OP's file.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ModuloFS

Post by ModuloFS »

Thank you @bmsaus4ax the workaround with the manually added start point worked!

Maybe if some developer read this post, this behaviour should be solved and i suggest to add this property in the main ui dialog also.
For new users it is not very intuitive the way it works now.

@chrisb i am not sure, should i post some additional information on my environment or was the "Please confirm" statement not to me?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

ModuloFS wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:30 am @chrisb i am not sure, should i post some additional information on my environment or was the "Please confirm" statement not to me?
It was directed to everyone having a very new 0.21 version such as mine or newer.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

chrisb wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:38 am
No problems at all with the converted file.

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.0.32552 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: e2b3a5d2f791fb78a61daac9bdab374058f682f2
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * FeedsAndSpeeds 0.5.0
  * FeedsAndSpeeds-master.zip
  * freecad.gears-master 1.0.0
  * Help 1.0.3
With the unconverted file I got pages and pages of "Abdullah-grams" about various errors. :lol:

I think there was a serious problem for a couple of days that totally killed most python WBs. Your version may have been from that time period.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:23 pm I think there was a serious problem for a couple of days that totally killed most python WBs. Your version may have been from that time period.
Thanks for looking. I will postpone it after the next update.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:43 pm @abdullah, could that cause the problem? Then it may occur on other occasions as well.
You mean if the notification system can cause the problem? I do not think so.

It appears that FC cannot properly load the file, but I do not know why. Is this solved now?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

abdullah wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:05 pm You mean if the notification system can cause the problem? I do not think so.
I think the problem was due to a change from Syres. I do not know the details, but it changed something in python code and more or less killed Path WB. The change was reverted in a couple of days, but anyone who loaded a new version of FC during that short time interval could not use the Path WB.

Gene