[Feature Request] make dependency graph exportable

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vusarskyy

[Feature Request] make dependency graph exportable

Post by vusarskyy »

I have pretty large project, so the dependency graph as a pre-generated image is pretty useless as all the lines are merged into one. But if I could get the code for this graph and use external tools, then it could potentially help me to filter out useless objects or highlight dependencies I am looking for.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] make dependency graph exportable

Post by chrisb »

As a workaround you could fool the dependency graph’s dot program by replacing it with an appropriate script
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vusarskyy

Post by vusarskyy »

chrisb wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:53 pm As a workaround you could fool the dependency graph’s dot program by replacing it with an appropriate script
That was one of the possible solutions on my list but it would require more effort than simply going through the constraints and checking dependencies manually.

Anyway, this feature looked obvious and relatively easy to implement as FreeCAD already knows how to generate the code for Graphviz.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

What I would actually like to see is the possibility to select some objects in the tree and limit the graph output to only these. It would probably require two flavors: one showing only the arrows between the selected objects, and one which shows also incoming and outgoing arrows.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

What output format are you expecting? What external tool do you wish to use?
vusarskyy

Post by vusarskyy »

chrisb wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:31 am What I would actually like to see is the possibility to select some objects in the tree and limit the graph output to only these. It would probably require two flavors: one showing only the arrows between the selected objects, and one which shows also incoming and outgoing arrows.
Yes, basic filtering would be great! Meanwhile I wanted to either use basic text editor to remove graph nodes manually or use an online WYSIWYG Graphviz editor
vusarskyy

Post by vusarskyy »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:28 am What output format are you expecting? What external tool do you wish to use?
Standard DOT format (https://graphviz.org/doc/info/lang.html). Then I can import it into, for example, http://magjac.com/graphviz-visual-editor/ and remove nodes I don't need.