Notification Area issues

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Notification Area issues

Post by adrianinsaval »

FreeCAD has gotten a little better with warnings (back then clicking the middle mouse on an empty spot triggered a warning :roll: ). I expect it will keep improving and we should be getting more meaningful warnings. I think the ideal solution is as is proposed here to show them by default but continue to work in making them more meaningful, the notifications system is much less intrusive than the report view so it is acceptable.

The links go out of allowed scope warning is one such case that needs better wording and shouldn't be triggered at all in some cases, for example: viewtopic.php?t=76166
uwestoehr wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:35 pm I as developer of course look at warnings. And the discussion here is not about outputting warnings. It is whether to bother every user by default with every warning as popup or to let interested and expert users decide on their own to see warnings or not.
but dealing with warnings is not just for advanced users
Nothing else is the question here and we decided this for 0.20 already.
but the situation has changed, the report view was intrusive and required you to go an manually close it every time, the notifications can just be dismissed or ignored.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:29 pm
wmayer wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:04 pm Fact is that a warning may indicate a deeper problem and the notification area makes it more prominent. This increases the chance to fix it. Your preference is to completely suppress and ignore warnings but in the long run this will be harmful because things will never be fixed.
What? I never said this!
I spent for sure 10 minutes for this and decided to ignore it. But it is super annoying to see such warnings.
So all I want is an option in the notification settings called "don't popup for warnings". This option is by default on. Experienced users can turn it off and see the popup also for warnings.
I found the warning without the notification area feature - as interested user, I have the report panel open and see the warning.

What are you accusing me? I report most warnings and try to fix them.
Sorry, but here you miss what the discussion is about.
So, what's your problem, then?
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wmayer wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:18 am So, what's your problem, then?
That normal (non-expert) users have no change to understand every warning but get every warning by default as popup. This breaks their workflow, leads to longer times to fulfill a task because not every warning hinders you from fulfilling your task.

And therefore there should be an opt-in to see warnings, no opt-out.
Also, to opt-out you must already be expert enough to know how to opt-out.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

uwestoehr wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:08 pm ...

Sorry for the intrusion.

Probably something similar to log level settings in some softwares could be a solution?

In the past I was told that an Error should be always reported, a Warning could have some "levels" major warnings abd minor warnings at least.

It is difficult to identify minor warning like "deprecation warmings" often interesting only developers and something that we could call "modelling warning" that are signaling potential problem to the user.

But I don't know how to classify Qt warnings that seem the most intrusive from your examples.

But as I don't know how much coding work is involved In left to developers the choice.

Kind Regards.

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/