[announcement] first version of Toponaming is ready for testing

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
aapo

Re: [announcement] first version of Toponaming is ready for testing

Post by aapo »

The 1st phase of the realthunder's Toponaming algorithm appears now to be completed under the guidance of Ondsel's new developer John Dupuy (JohnAD in GitHub). So, the next phases should start to add code that are actually activated and are going to change how FreeCAD behaves (but still not full TNP mitigation, I'm afraid). However, from what I see, it has been a very fast and professional team effort so far. Merging the realthunder's TNP mitigation effort into FreeCAD master seems to be advancing now much better and faster than originally anticipated. So, as a FreeCAD user. I'd like to thank and congratulate the whole dev team! :D

After this first success it seems that JohnAD is well on board with realthunder's code, and is going to tackle the merging of the 2nd phase alrady (quoted from GitHub):
JohnAD in GitHub wrote: Done with Phase One!

I wanted to express my gratitude for all the hard work everyone put into phase 1 of this project. It was a massive undertaking, and you all went above and beyond to import/test/refactor RealThunder’s working code!

Now it is time for phase 2 and I can't wait to see what we can accomplish together.

While I have been researching what should be in this phase, I’m not the FreeCAD expert you all are; so I’m asking for help! I’m hoping to have all of the next steps laid out by Friday, and getting comments and suggestions from the experts is invaluable!

The general idea for phase 2 is adding the algorithm but not actually using it yet. The big goal is good consistent testing; and then updating/modifying that testing in phase 3 as we inevitably learn more.

Specifically, it will be adding the naming algorithm. Some of that is found in the ElementMap class. I suspect that will be step 1 of phase 2.

And, I was thinking this will also mean that we go ahead and add the ElementMapPtr _ElementMap item to the ComplexGeoData class with its supporting methods (and possibly TopoShape). However, those methods would not yet be called in the live FreeCAD code. They are only called by the testing files.

We might also want to add indirect support into the Sketcher workbench, but I’ve not really started looking at it to know what that would involve. Any Sketcher enthusiasts around?

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues/8432
IPowIPi

Post by IPowIPi »

Thanks for the update and to all those involved! Sounds promising!
aapo

Post by aapo »

It now seems to me that the Toponaming merge phase 2 has been completed, and there has been a lot of toponaming work merged to the main branch lately. It seems to me that currently the Toponaming is very active and there's a lot happening at the moment. I don't know for sure, but I'd expect that there'd be some user-visible improvements happening in the dev branch soon. I've not personally noticed any improvements activated yet, but hopefully something is available soon. There appears to be a new kanban-style progress table here https://github.com/orgs/FreeCAD/projects/2/views/1 that shows 55 subgoals have been completed, 4 are worked on, 6 are waiting, and 14 are parked in backlog. This would suggest that most of the work has been done at this point in time. Very exciting!

"Most of the work is contained within the Part module" , which seems to imply that PartDesign will be addressed later. https://github.com/FreeCAD/DevelopersHandbook/issues/92

Issue 8432 "Toponaming": https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues/8432