Structural IFC interface for XC.

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
l_pereztato

Structural IFC interface for XC.

Post by l_pereztato »

Hi.

We are evaluating the possibility of developing an structural IFC interface for XC, using FreeCAD to translate from IFC to a Python file with the k-points, lines, surfaces, volumes used to generate the finite element mesh in XC.
  • Is there a document that explains the document for newcomers (something a bit more human friendly that this)?
  • Can someone make a suggestion about where to start?
Kind regards
Luis
yorik
Founder

Re: Structural IFC interface for XC.

Post by yorik »

I would basically skip FreeCAD and use IfcOpenShell directly (it is what we use in FreeCAD to import/export IFC files).

The FreeCAD code that deals with IfcOpenShell is https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... portIFC.py

Basically IfcOpenShell can parse an IFC file for you, and present a nice python interface from which you can query the file, its entities and attributes/properties elegantly. There is not much of an API doc, but it is pretty easy to use, basically open a file with f = ifcopenshell.open(file) then the f object will have several methods to query its contents, or you can even get an entity directly by its id numer, like f[350]

The IFC format can be quite complex, specially the inter-entity relationships, so you'll probably need to refer to the buildingsmart docs quite often, I'm sorry to inform you :D (the IFC4 doc is a little bit better... http://www.buildingsmart-tech.org/ifc/IFC4/Add2/html/ )
l_pereztato

Post by l_pereztato »

Well, thank you very much!
I'll take a look to IfcOpenShell.

Thanks again!
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

@l_pereztato:
stumbled over this by accident. I'm very interested in any kind of development of structural ifc, since I'm gone do some development in this regard as well! Are you still on this?
l_pereztato

Post by l_pereztato »

Yes we are.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

l_pereztato wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:30 pm Yes we are.
would you give more informations? This sounds very interesting.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Would you even give more informations about XC ? ... See https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=31262

Bernd
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

Are there any development for structural IFC read and write in FreeCAD? regard to new IFC native import?