Modern UI

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MisterMaker

Re: Modern UI

Post by MisterMaker »

HakanSeven12 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:00 am That looks nice. Even better than modern ui. If there is enough interest with this maybe I can open a discussion and ask for donations for this project and if I get it I can work on this. Nice idea btw.
@sliptonic Is looking for someone who can work on such stuff paid.
cadcam

Post by cadcam »

Dare I ask how much would interest you to work on the project?
You mentioned $1000 previously

BW
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

cadcam wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:02 pm Dare I ask how much would interest you to work on the project?
You mentioned $1000 previously

BW
Still same
PeteRS

Post by PeteRS »

Hi
Probably this is not something anyone other than me may be interested in however
Whenever I watch a YouTube video showing some aspect of using FreeCAD, usually a video aimed at beginners like me, they start like this

· Load up FreeCAD

· Go to “Part Design”

· Start a new document

· Click on “Create Body”

· Click on “Create Sketch”

· Select “Plane”

· And now FreeCAD is in “Sketcher”…

Except when I do this mine stays in “Part Design”…it doesn’t go to “Sketcher” unless I select “Sketcher” from the Menu.

It doesn’t feel like end of the world territory just annoying when I am not mirroring the instructions …

I am running FreeCAD version 0.20.2 with the ModernUI add on (I like the look and that I can have a description next to each Icon, which for me is useful, at least until I instinctively recognise the function of each)

Would the Modern UI be the cause of this or is there a setting that needs attention?

Once again apologies if there is a blindingly obvious but any help is always welcome!
PeteRS

Post by PeteRS »

PeteRS wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:25 pm Hi
Probably this is not something anyone other than me may be interested in however
Whenever I watch a YouTube video showing some aspect of using FreeCAD, usually a video aimed at beginners like me, they start like this

· Load up FreeCAD

· Go to “Part Design”

· Start a new document

· Click on “Create Body”

· Click on “Create Sketch”

· Select “Plane”

· And now FreeCAD is in “Sketcher”…

Except when I do this mine stays in “Part Design”…it doesn’t go to “Sketcher” unless I select “Sketcher” from the Menu.

It doesn’t feel like end of the world territory just annoying when I am not mirroring the instructions …

I am running FreeCAD version 0.20.2 with the ModernUI add on (I like the look and that I can have a description next to each Icon, which for me is useful, at least until I instinctively recognise the function of each)

Would the Modern UI be the cause of this or is there a setting that needs attention?

Once again apologies if there is a blindingly obvious but any help is always welcome!
I have removed ModernUI and it works! Reinstalled it and it doesn't....so ModernUI is the cause. I suppose my question then is there a workaround or a setting that needs attention or is it just something I need to learn to live with?

It's not the end of the world and I can manually select "Sketcher" but it would be nice if this worked as per the standard version.
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

Modern ui is not %100 compatible with freecad so you can see some of minor bugs like that. The bad news there is nothing you can do :)
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Modern UI is sadly pretty broken by now, we might wanna remove it from the addon repository as it can give a pretty bad user experience.
Or maybe we need to add an experimental/testing button just as Blender has. @chennes ?

Until Hakan goes into his retirement and gets bored and finally fixes it. ;)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Maybe update the addon metadata to show that it's only compatible with latest stable ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

we should probably mark it as deprecated once 0.21 is released
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs