Is Freecad a social coding project or a design software ?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Notuseful

Is Freecad a social coding project or a design software ?

Post by Notuseful »

I have spent a couple of evenings evaluating freecad and Iam confused of all the basic bugs in this software.

Im starting to realize i may have misunderstood freecad, freecad appears to be a social coding project for python coders more than a cad design software (?)

Just consider the manual for freecad cover more python coding examples than cad design functions.

If freecad is supposed to be a cad design software for manufacturing parts i suggest in all kindness someone test the actual cad design after coding the functions. All functions works if I just throw something together for testing but when designing with precision or something from reality the software falls apart quickly. I started reporting bugs on github but gave up as there is so many basic bugs i shouldnt even see which leads me to believe there is no cad users in the development team (?). Why is that and is there a possible workaround forward using freecad as a cad design software ?

I understand this is a big coding project and it is impressive in that aspect but is there someone keeping it focused as a cad design software ?
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Is Freecad a social coding project or a design software ?

Post by Roy_043 »

Have you followed any of the tutorials?
Can you link to some of the bugs you have reported?
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:37 am ...
you are more kind and patient than most of us would be :mrgreen:
DontFeedTheTroll.jpg
DontFeedTheTroll.jpg (37.46 KiB) Viewed 746 times
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

Notuseful wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:27 am ....

freecad is e.g. very good for use in metal construction, steel construction, timber construction, development and 3d modelling. I don't know anything faster. I would never have thought that something like this could ever exist as free software. Many thanks to all programmers!
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
Notuseful

Post by Notuseful »

Thank you Bambuko.

Iam evaluating freecad to pursue a suggestion if our company should donate to freecad project instead of paying substantial licensing fees for inventor.

Evaluation closed.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230325-131508_1.png
Screenshot_20230325-131508_1.png (497.47 KiB) Viewed 689 times
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Notuseful wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:27 am I have spent a couple of evenings evaluating freecad and Iam confused of all the basic bugs in this software.

A couple of evening I think are not enough, as there is no a unique way of making design with a CAD, each CAD has his own way of doing things.

You could not expect same workflow as the CAD you are used.

But your nickname is at least suspect Notuseful is 'not useful as a nickname'

Your argumentation seem more noise than a real critics, as FreeCAD is used by many people in the world and some of the developers are even Architect and Engineers, as it is clear if you spend some times in the forum and see maybe users showcases.

Regards

Carlo D.
Last edited by onekk on Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

With this title and this name, this is heavily biased, if not intend to provoke. Besides this question of the topic can with no effort answered in github (from where the poster said, he/she cam from there and reported bugs, but links nothing).

onekk wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:05 pm A couple if evening I think are not enough
And if the poster know Inventor, a half evening is more then enough. FreeCAD and other professional CADs are not that different in their workflow.

That the whole thing have a troll smell, does not really came out of blue.

Greetings
user1234
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Well I am supporting Notuseful arguments and to answer his question if there are no cad users on the project, there are, even some very good ones, but they are not being heard. And I have been saying this now for some time, FreeCAD gui and all the other nonsense that many are so much spending their time on developing and arguing that it needs to improve are not the real problems for FreeCAD not getting more adopted in the industry and education (maybe for the home 3d printer community which is mostly happy with Tinkercad they are). There are some well standardized ways how to do parametric cad and FreeCAD is just refusing to follow this. There are some very knowledgeable users on cad methodologies in such companies and universities and as in the case with Notuseful when they take a look at FreeCAD they can just say WTF?! It does not matter how useful or fast it is to some existing users, clear methodologies, compatibility and standardization are key in the industry. And the real trolling for me are the countless meaningless arguments in replies to topics like this. For years people are giving valid arguments and solutions to this issues, but the project is just spinning in the circles.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

saso wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:36 pm ...
I read somewhere here on the forum: "Stop crying, start coding"
I think that applies here too
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

thomas-neemann wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:47 pm
saso wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:36 pm ...
I read somewhere here on the forum: "Stop crying, start coding"
I think that applies here too
another dumb argument that is continuously thrown around in the forum. how much have you coded for FC? some people are good in code, some are in cad, some are in design,... it would be better if we would actually acknowledge our different and best strengths and start to work together from there.