Sketcher grid : fundamental change

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Sketcher grid : fundamental change

Post by adrianinsaval »

GeneFC wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:11 pm That is exactly my point. It would be very easy to try to move, say, two grid spaces and not notice that now it should really be four.
Have you looked at the video? by default it doesn't resize 2x it resizes 10x after quite a lot of zoom, and the new lines coincide with the previous major or minor line depending on if you have zoomed in or out, one would have to be very distracted to not notice this. As a grid user I find this friendlier because I don't have to manually choose for each object and at each zoom level what grid size I need. Also let's not forget that in the end the grid is just a guide, constraints are what really matter, so it's usually not a big deal if you occasionally miss click.
Also notice that an auto resizing grid is common behavior in many software out there so a lot of users would find this much more natural than the current behavior where the grid has the same size whether I'm drawing a 2mm circle or 40m x 60m rectangle unless you manually set it for each. Personally this meant that I set a default value for the grid that makes sense for the sizes i usually work with, and whenever I need something bigger or smaller I just disable the grid because it's not worth the hassle.

Either way, this discussion is only relevant when discussing the default setting for the auto resize feature, the benefits of the fundamental changes (which are independent of this feature) and the existence of the auto resize feature itself are basically indisputable.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

After trying to search for sketcher and grid I decided to receive this old Thread. :roll:

After a while I am finally able to test the new grid fictionality and have found a tiny irregularity:

If Grid Auto Spacing is disabled I would expect that I'm adjusting the Grid spacing = distance between division lines.
But instead it sets the distance between the subdivision lines. @paddle Is this by intention or is it a bug?
sketchergrid.png
sketchergrid.png (58.37 KiB) Viewed 689 times
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

FBXL5 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:38 pm ...
But instead it sets the distance between the subdivision lines.
Division lines = more bold lines (10x 10mm in this case)
subdivision lines = square dims (the most small division)

Only to know.

Sorry if seems noise, but it probably depends on what side of the matter you intend "grid spacing"

IMHO "grid spacing" is more like "subdivision" if there is a snap it seems more natural to set the "snap minimal amount" than the "bold lines" and just in case some non decimal unit is used it would not suppose the "divide by ten" rule.

But let ear @paddle opinion.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It seems quite natural to me. I specify the unit where I want to use the grid. The thick lines are only there for improved orientation and to ease the counting.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

It was intentional that the smaller lines are the spacing.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

Thanks for the answers.

I still find it strange that the grid is defined by the subdivision lines and not the division lines.
It seems to be common sense to ignore the naming of the lines and concentrate on the snapping function.

BTW - I like the way the grid/snapping tools were implemented, even though I wouldn't use them often,,,
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

FBXL5 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:59 pm I still find it strange that the grid is defined by the subdivision lines and not the division lines.
You are mistaken here: the grid is defined by the division lines. And you have every 10 division lines one major line :D .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

chrisb wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:31 am
FBXL5 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:59 pm I still find it strange that the grid is defined by the subdivision lines and not the division lines.
You are mistaken here: the grid is defined by the division lines. And you have every 10 division lines one major line :D .
:ugeek: The "major lines" are called division lines in the preferences, those in between are subdivision lines.
(Please ignore the partial translation into German)
gridprefs.png
gridprefs.png (40.74 KiB) Viewed 455 times
The grid may be defined by the division lines but the spacing still controls the distance between the subdivision lines.

I'm looking forward to the description on the wiki. 8-)
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

FBXL5 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:45 pm :ugeek: The "major lines" are called division lines in the preferences, those in between are subdivision lines.
(Please ignore the partial translation into German)
gridprefs.png

The grid may be defined by the division lines but the spacing still controls the distance between the subdivision lines.
Yes, it's not ideal.
Top one should be something line "Grid lines" and bottom one something like "Major lines" IMO ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

FBXL5 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:45 pm I'm looking forward to the description on the wiki. 8-)
Ok, you are right. This is confusing!
@abdullah, @paddle, can we use e.g. the Inkscape naming convention:
Attachments
Bildschirm­foto 2023-03-25 um 19.34.58.png
Bildschirm­foto 2023-03-25 um 19.34.58.png (13.25 KiB) Viewed 418 times