Headless

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pixelwaster

Headless

Post by pixelwaster »

This seems like the right place, interface and experience. If not, please move.

I been RTFM abit so that I can use the search better. I came across a sentence that said FreeCAD can run headless. There are two "parts": App and Gui. I haven't dug too much into the workings yet but it got me thinkin.

My question is - can you run the App part on one machine and GUI on another? Such as App on a heavy duty desktop or server; Gui on a laptop connected on a wired full duplex Ethernet?

Thanks for reading.
onekk
Veteran

Re: Headless

Post by onekk »

pixelwaster wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:52 am This seems like the right place, interface and experience. If not, please move.

I been RTFM abit so that I can use the search better. I came across a sentence that said FreeCAD can run headless. There are two "parts": App and Gui. I haven't dug too much into the workings yet but it got me thinkin.

My question is - can you run the App part on one machine and GUI on another? Such as App on a heavy duty desktop or server; Gui on a laptop connected on a wired full duplex Ethernet?

Thanks for reading.
App is the non Gui part

Gui is the Gui part (not surprisingly)

but to make run an App part on a machine and the GUI part on another is more a Client server model, I doubt that this could be done, and take in account that FreeCAD is mostly mono thread with little multithread routines, some works has been done in some part of FreeCAD, so probably you zillion core servers will run FreeCAD only slightly faster than you laptop.

From what I know form some @wmayer posts FreeCAD could run on a machine and expose a sort of "webserver" that could be connected, but I don't know if this will make things like "client server" work feasible.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
pixelwaster

Re: Headless

Post by pixelwaster »

Thanks for the answer. I didn't think it was possible but had to ask.

Michael