How to put a wire in a body?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Re: How to put a wire in a body?

Post by drmacro »

Pintuxgu wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:13 pm ...A sketch can be created directly (as a stand alone object) in the Draft workbench by the tool already mentioned.
When working in the PartDesign workbench however, a sketch must always be a sub object of a body. It does not allow you to create a sketch in the root of the document for example. This seems inconsistent to me.
It is not inconsistent. It is simply the way Part Design paradigm works.

A sketch created for use in a Part Design Body exposes the sketch Attachment property which references the sketch to the Origin object of the Body. A sketch created in such a way is a specific use of the sketch for a special purpose.

A sketch created outside the Body references the global coordinate system and (at least by default) has not attachment. It is a general purpose construct that can be used with Part workbench and other non-Part Design workbenches (Arch, Curves, etc.)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

:idea:
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2023-03-22 211230.jpg
Capture d’écran 2023-03-22 211230.jpg (38.3 KiB) Viewed 518 times
Box_Part_Worbench_SHALM.FCStd
(217.55 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Capture d’écran 2023-03-22 211115.jpg
Capture d’écran 2023-03-22 211115.jpg (82.77 KiB) Viewed 519 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

There are two thinks I do not know what they are or how they work:
* Modify Map Mode to FlatFace
* Modify Support to XY_Plane
I see that these are part of the Sketch, (and not of the body). I will have to study more to understand what those are and how to apply those properties effectively. I guess that not having proper references for your sketches leads into the "topological naming problem" and malformed objects.
Skipping these steps did seem to work (I hope it's not blasphemy).
It's better when Sketches have a define/dedicated Attachment.
PartDesign_NewSketch create each time an attachment but you can deactivated it if you want to use global placement (relative to the body ?).
I found it quite surprising that FreeCAD can now work with sketches with multiple objects in a single sketch, and you can make a pocket from all of them at the same time. This has been a long standing limitation in FreeCAD.
In PartDesign, you can have a sketch with multiple forms for Pad or Pocket if you always keep ONE object after each feature.
So the 1st sketch for 1st feature pad need to contain only one form.
Pintuxgu

Post by Pintuxgu »

Bance wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:31 pm Nonsense this has always been allowed. :evil:
Oops, I stand corrected, I mixed up things...
You can't pad a sketch if it results in multiple solids, but you can use a sketch to make multiple pockets.
And after Shalmeneser's last post, I padded a simple sketch, then made another sketch with two circles and padded them both on top of the "main body" and this works. This is an eye opener. Somehow I never realized that.
drmacro wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:38 pm It is not inconsistent. It is simply the way Part Design paradigm works.

A sketch created for use in a Part Design Body exposes the sketch Attachment property which references the sketch to the Origin object of the Body. A sketch created in such a way is a specific use of the sketch for a special purpose.
I have an extreme tendency to get confused by such things. If a sketch behaves differently depending on how it was created (which may have been years ago, in another FreeCAD version) Then I just get stuck. I am now experimenting with changing the "support" and "Map Mode" of sketches after they have been created, and I can now change a vertical pocket though a Body to a horizontal pocket though that same body. I have memories that changing these properties of a sketch got "locked" sometimes in mysterious ways. It may have been a bug or limitation of an older FreeCAD version. Maybe it's just my own tendency for confusement.

I've got a vague Idea that I have had problems with understanding FreeCAD because I am missing some fundamental principles. Things in FreeCAD are also improving for the better. I looked through my old backups, and one of my first experiments with FreeCAD was done in 2012-04-20, and FreeCAD can still open it. Trying to do anything in FreeCAD back then was quite horrible though.
Pintuxgu

Post by Pintuxgu »

@Shalmeneser

You almost completely redrew my project. Impressive :D

But you did miss a few subtle things.
In my own design the pockets on the top row are not at regular intervals. Some of the pockets are shifted to leave a wider ridge for the short arm of the allen key. But those are just small details. For me the value is in the use of extra features that build up the drawing, such as the use of the external geometry (red lines in sketches). the way the slanted corners are generated in a separate sketch and the use of the "Block constrain" in the allen key.
You also made a lot of use of defining multiple spatially separated features in a single sketch :)

It will take me some time (days, maybe weeks) to study these designs and get familiar with them, but they look like they will improve my future workflow with FreeCAD. One of my old problems with FreeCAD is that sketches became too complex because sometimes hundredths of features were crammed into a single sketch.
Last edited by Pintuxgu on Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pintuxgu

Post by Pintuxgu »

In my original design the top row of 5 pockets all have the same shape, but they are not spaced equally distant.
Is there a good way in FreeCAD to create these from some kind of array function without just copying the whole pocket 5 times?
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

[wiki]viewtopic.php?t=77021[/wiki]
Lattice2_Workbench
These tools don't work inside PartDesign wb.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:55 am [wiki]viewtopic.php?t=77021[/wiki]
Lattice2_Workbench
These tools don't work inside PartDesign wb.
Lattice2 tools don't work inside PD? A particular tool? I've used Lattice PartDesign Pattern several times.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

:oops: