Workflow not logical

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Vincent B
Veteran

Workflow not logical

Post by Vincent B »

I make a part container. It's active.
I make cube, it go inside, ok
I make a cylinder, go inside too, ok.
I make a sketcher, it stay outside when part still active.
I do the union cube+cylinder, same behavior. (presumed to go inside, because linked to the cube and cylinder)
Why a such workflow? :roll:
phpBB [video]
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Workflow not logical

Post by chrisb »

Vincent B wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:21 pm Why a such workflow? :roll:
Probably not implemented yet.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

This is the kind of thing that needs to be improved to make it work better. To avoid extra mouse's click with new user.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

you will see when you have more experience, one more click will cause you insignificant harm :lol: :lol: :lol:
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

papyblaise wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:56 pm you will see when you have more experience, one more click will cause you insignificant harm :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not to start debates, only to express some considerations.

These are small things that are often neglected, but IMHO are important too.

Uniforming UX between similar operation or set sane default that will cover the majority of user cases, are small but not insignificant improvement.

I know that it seems marginal but if there are some WIP on the interface like there is now probably is not the wrong time.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
jimb

Post by jimb »

These are small things that are often neglected, but IMHO are important too.

Uniforming UX between similar operation or set sane default that will cover the majority of user cases, are small but not insignificant improvement.
I agree. Sure, you can always learn to deal with it, but you really shouldn't have to. All these little things add up and they make a big difference in how it is perceived: a good program vs a great program.
heron

Post by heron »

Vincent B wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:21 pm This is the kind of thing that needs to be improved to make it work better.
jimb wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:07 pm you can always learn to deal with it, but you really shouldn't have to.
Fully agree, I found a bit related github issue here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues/6422, I don´t kwow if there are more.

Moreover, it seems to me that this wrong Part Container behavior is one of the reasons why PartDesign WB is a user favorite vs Part WB.
Part Container is a key object for assemblies, when modeling in Part WB, it is necessary to place things in different Part Containers if you want to use them in assemblies later. Hopefully this can be addressed at some point.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Probably Sketcher have to be modified a little, it was said that some work must be done to uniform its behaviour with PartDesign WB.

And probably even Part object will have some improvement as there are also ongoing discussion about an official Assembly WB.

There are also some talks about refining and re organising some nomenclature to avoid confusion.

Let's see how it evolve, in the meantime it will be interesting to open in "Open Discussion" sub forum a thread where other UI UX discrepancies and different behaviour for similar operations could be posted so they will not be forgotten during the above efforts.

But being not a developer let's see if maybe @Roy_043 or @chrisb have better ideas.

Regards

Carlo D.
- Various other stuffs.

Ulicad

Post by Ulicad »

Edit:
This matter is continued here only: Glossary modernisation
-----------
onekk wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:05 am ... Probably Sketcher have to be modified a little, it was said that some work must be done to uniform its behaviour with PartDesign WB. ...
... There are also some talks about refining and re organising some nomenclature to avoid confusion. ...
Agreed, just my two cents to add concretely:

Many occurences, if not most, of above mentioned areas interdependently are causing uncertainties and obstacles, mainly for new and/or 'non-casual' users, non-native sspeakers and occasionally for experts as well.

The Glossary, as a common ground for all of these said groups could play the role of being a central place, where most threads are starting form and are converging. In british english as source-language.

Whenever a dispute, uncertainty or whatever relates to areas & terms of the Glossary, it could be a perfect place IMHO, to serve as a standard-reference. New development would be organised accordingly and tested against it, if applicable.

Uncertainties in the glossary itself could be clarified in the same course of activities.

Knowing this as a common, central and accepted place where to look, many activities would benefit greatly form there. Each WB would be measured against it, unintended divergencies and confusion would be significantlly reduced, mods & others just could linnk to an entry in the glossary to enhance comprehension and much more..

Being a new user (bare of prior CAD-knowledge...), this suggestion may be around since longer time. I just could not find it yet... - my apologies in this case.

Regards
Uli
Last edited by Ulicad on Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
en: New FC-user, virgin to previous CAD-work, labouring on his new hobby Ulis Blog
de: Neuer FC-Nutzer, ohne vorhergehende CAD-Erfahrung, beschäftigt mit seinem neuen Hobby Ulis Blog
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Ulicad wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:01 am ...
I agree that a glossary would be a good start, but there are even some guidelines that are under development to uniform coding aspects.

A Glossary could be intented also as a big index of Wiki pages (and probably there is something similar around) where an user should find an argument.

Example:

Part >> will lead to a disambiguation page where it list:

- Part (object)
- Part WB
- Part (FreeCAD module)
- PartDesignWB (eventually or a link to a Wiki page that resume differences between Part WB and PartDesign)

That this is a big work to do and to maintain updated so probably some big help from (advanced) users will be needed.

As usual FreeCAD is needing your love, either with gunding, helping other users, writing and maintaining Wiki pages, signaling bug and errors.

Regards

Carlo D.
- Various other stuffs.