help deciding

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
men132

help deciding

Post by men132 »

https://wiki.freecad.org/FEM_Install
Netgen
what should I write instead. I don't really have enough experience so help would be appreiciated
intelligence is power
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: help deciding

Post by Roy_043 »

Maybe @uwestoehr can comment.

In general: it is probably better to focus on the sections of the documentation that are about things that you do understand. I personally lack the knowledge to make a serious contribution to, for example, the documentation of the Path and FEM workbenches, and therefore I don't. ;)
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

men132 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:30 pm https://wiki.freecad.org/FEM_Install
Netgen
what should I write instead. I don't really have enough experience so help would be appreciated
The Netgen section is wrong. Netgen is not disabled, it works well. It depends on the user what mesher to use. With Netgen it is a bit harder to get a good mesh since one cannot set regions of interest that should be meshed finer:
FreeCAD_BH9k8nSAyz.png
FreeCAD_BH9k8nSAyz.png (30.06 KiB) Viewed 825 times
With Gmsh it is much easier, since you set the max element size and then set submeshes at regions of interests:
FreeCAD_nngtbrBFIl.png
FreeCAD_nngtbrBFIl.png (18.84 KiB) Viewed 825 times
Gmsh in FreeCAD offers more options to fine-tune the mesh.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

uwestoehr wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:41 pm The Netgen section is wrong. Netgen is not disabled, it works well.
I updated the Netgen section now.
men132

Post by men132 »

Roy_043 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:39 am In general: it is probably better to focus on the sections of the documentation that are about things that you do understand. I personally lack the knowledge to make a serious contribution to, for example, the documentation of the Path and FEM workbenches, and therefore I don't. ;)
that why I asked. and thanks for the help
intelligence is power