Cabinet furniture design tools workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Cabinet furniture design tools workbench

Post by Roy_043 »

mpoole32

Post by mpoole32 »

@dprojects Does Freecad offer the equivalent of what SketchUp has with their Extension and api capabilities that allows developers to automate SketchUp functionality?

Machining details like the tenon\mortise, shelf and hardware holes are not required for showing a detailed drawing of cabinets. Getting size and dimensional details accurate per each part that makes up a cabinet is important.

There is a plugin for SketchUp that does this already and it works with the free copy of SketchUp called SketchUp Make 2017.

If someone could duplicate this plugin's functionality in Freecad, then the developer who wrote that SU plugin also wrote a stand alone program called Cutmaster that does the CNC template process including writing both individual part dxfs and generating nested optimized panels. Trying to get all of those many machining features done properly in CAD is a lot of work better done in something like a spreadsheet or database environment.
2022-11-19 15_20_52-CabMaker Build v7 is licensed - Version_ 7.0.168 - 350 day(s) to Web Check.png
2022-11-19 15_20_52-CabMaker Build v7 is licensed - Version_ 7.0.168 - 350 day(s) to Web Check.png (131.98 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoSjzy6C-Qo&t=4s
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

I'm not familiar with SketchUp, so I don't have much of a comparison.

In FreeCAD, it is easier to create a parametric model and then merge it with current project. For example you can merge: bookcase and change number of shelves, width, height and other parametrized things. Similar things you can do with Screws or any other fixture.

Unfortunately, such ready-made products, as you mentioned, have a significant disadvantages, they cost a lot of programmer's work, and then it turns out that someone wants to change something that such a ready-made GUI does not provide, and there is a problem. As far as I know the SketchUp is much more advanced.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

IIRC, FreeCAD's Rebar (Reinforcement_Workbench) workbench has a pretty cool UI that changes per the users realtime chosen options. If that's the case maybe that code could be employed (if one was so inclined) to undertake that type of effort.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

You will make such a great tool, you create everything for cabinets and drawers but you not make chair or bed there ;-)

However, such GUIs are good for companies that sell or mass-produce furniture. They have their product line, several models, they specialize in them and do not produce anything else. In this case, this makes sense to make such a tool for specific products only.

In addition, such a big companies have their own R&D departments with programmers and are able to bear the cost of creating such a tool.

Only usually such companies do not base such tools on programs such as FreeCAD, but directly on libraries to have more control over code and changes in the future, and license of course.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

dprojects

Post by dprojects »

bntarc wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:13 am I suggest to add:
-PartDesign Chamfer
-PartDesign Fillet
The PartDesign Chamfer, Fillet and Pocket are no longer available at the toolbar. But there are new decoration tools. I added quick router bits: Cove, Round Over, Straight, Chamfer. They based on PartDesign Pocket so the final object is editable and handled well by FreeCAD. You can create more advanced decoration by adding one by one. Sometimes the FreeCAD is not able to make Pocket but you can edit the final object with fixed length. I think this feature will be useful.

phpBB [video]

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

dprojects

Post by dprojects »

I am working to get containers to work. Currently, panels and dowels are able to recognize containers and after operation they are moved to the container. There were many hard decisions to make, especially, what should be considered as container. Also I had to extend references to recognize more FreeCAD objects type, for example MultiTransform.

I need also adjust drilling tools with the same way and check if other tools need to be adjusted. So, all comments welcome...

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

dprojects

Post by dprojects »

The Containers Feature is almost done. Conversion from Cube to PartDesign Chamfer inside LinkGroup container and Mirror on it, just by selecting face, without Topology Naming Problem.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

txtinman

Post by txtinman »

I've been trying out this workbench and it works quite well. I've used it in version 0.21.0 and 0.20.2 of FreeCAD with good results so far. In Realthunder's link branch I found that the magic move tool does not work. So far that's all I've found, but I use version 0.21.0 most of the time.

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 2023.131.26244 +5365 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkDaily
Hash: 73c4ca254c5de8849d104973482e98399fb24863
Python version: 3.10.8
Qt version: 5.15.4
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.6.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

Version: 0.20.2.29603 (Git) AppImage
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.20.2)
Hash: 930dd9a76203a3260b1e6256c70c1c3cad8c5cb8
Python 3.10.8, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Installed mods: 
  * Assembly3 0.11.4
  * Help 1.0.3
  * A2plus 0.4.60k
  * ExplodedAssembly
  * Woodworking 0.21.30486 (Disabled)
  * Woodworking 2023-03-16 0.21.30486

Version: 0.21.0.31917 (Git) AppImage
Branch: master
Hash: 4639283b459f9ff9093e289908cc003db8745b82
Python 3.10.9, Qt 5.15.6, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Installed mods: 
  * Assembly3 0.11.4
  * Help 1.0.3
  * A2plus 0.4.60k
  * ExplodedAssembly
  * Woodworking 0.21.30486 (Disabled)
  * Woodworking 2023-03-16 0.21.30486
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

txtinman wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:33 pm I've been trying out this workbench and it works quite well. I've used it in version 0.21.0 and 0.20.2 of FreeCAD with good results so far. In Realthunder's link branch I found that the magic move tool does not work. So far that's all I've found, but I use version 0.21.0 most of the time.
Thanks, good to know. Personally, I use 0.21.30486 (Git) AppImage and I don't plan to make stable release for 0.20.2. If the FreeCAD 0.21 stable will be released I will try to make "certify" new stable version.

I didn't try Realthunder's branch so I am not able to tell anything about.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects