Fillet in Path

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
überfuzz

Fillet in Path

Post by überfuzz »

Hi

I'm trying to set up a fillet operation in the Path workbench by implementing the 3D pocket tool. When I do so I get an error message:

18:04:49 PathPocket.WARNING: Final depth set below ZMin of face(s) selected.
18:04:49 <Path.Area> Area.cpp(1437): hit bottom -0,7,7
18:04:49 <Path.Area> Area.cpp(1437): hit bottom -7,-5.32907e-15,1e-06
18:04:49 <Path.Area> Area.cpp(1564): Discard empty section

fillet_test.FCStd
(105.67 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
What I'm I doing wrong..?
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Fillet in Path

Post by GeneFC »

überfuzz wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:04 pm What I'm I doing wrong..?
Well, the first thing wrong is that you did not say which version of FC you are using. I tried opening with a recent version 0.21 and that failed so I guessed that your file was created with an older version.

More importantly, you have given no clue about what you are trying to do.

I opened your file and created a "Pocket 3D" operation with no problems or errors. I suspect you were trying to select some particular face or faces.

It might be useful to let us in on the secret.

Gene
überfuzz

Post by überfuzz »

I use freecad 0.20. I was trying to create a fillet path with the 3D pocket tool, on the fillet on the object I attached in the file and got the error message I posted. Didn't mean to puzzle you...
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

überfuzz wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:08 pm I use freecad 0.20. I was trying to create a fillet path with the 3D pocket tool, on the fillet on the object I attached in the file and got the error message I posted. Didn't mean to puzzle you...
I again tried various selections with 3D Pocket and never saw a problem. The tools in your file seem rather large for this object, but they worked.

It seems to me that 3D Surface is a much better choice than 3D Pocket.

I am using version 0.21.0.30454 of FreeCAD. This is one of the last versions that would still open the older-style Path Jobs.

If I was starting by making a new Job I would definitely use the latest available development version of 0.21. Lots of continuing improvements.

Gene
überfuzz

Post by überfuzz »

Thanks!

I had my freecad set on an other language, might be to cause of the funky naming on my behalf. I'll try the 0.21.xxx version to see whether that sorts things.
überfuzz

Post by überfuzz »

So I tried the 0.21.xxx version, but without any luck. Here's a picture describing what I would like the do, the fillets are highlighted.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p74il7uksk18n ... t.bmp?dl=0

I attach two files where I tried to set up an operation to mill the fillets with ball head mill-bits.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Attachments
testing fillet 021.FCStd
Trying in FC0.21.xxx
(33.64 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
testing fillet 020.FCStd
Trying in FC 0.20.xxx
(31.92 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You need 3DSurface for this. The fillet is neither a profile, nor a face, nor a pocket.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
überfuzz

Post by überfuzz »

chrisb wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:01 pm You need 3DSurface for this. The fillet is neither a profile, nor a face, nor a pocket.
Aha, so I need an add on for the 3D surfacing. I didn't get that. :oops:

Is it this tool: Wiki - Surface? Do you know if there's a smoother way of installing it and get it up and running than the step guide in the wiki?

Thanks!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This is as smooth as it gets:
- enable Path experimental
- check Preferences... → Path → Advanced → Enable OCL dependent features

You haven't posted your FreeCAD infos, so I don't know what system you have, but most probably will the opencam library be preinstalled together with FreeCAD.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
überfuzz

Post by überfuzz »

chrisb wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:06 pm This is as smooth as it gets:
- enable Path experimental
- check Preferences... → Path → Advanced → Enable OCL dependent features

You haven't posted your FreeCAD infos, so I don't know what system you have, but most probably will the opencam library be preinstalled together with FreeCAD.
Seems to work, thanks!