FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
obelisk79
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Post by obelisk79 »

I concur that the current logo design is fine as a concept, but it should be allowed to evolve. Obviously I'm partial to the groundwork I've done with my own spin on an evolutionary logo. But regardless where the evolution is sourced from, I do believe that it should evolve to look more professional while still being recognizable/relatable easily and apparently with the current design.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

obelisk79 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:01 pm I concur that the current logo design is fine as a concept, but it should be allowed to evolve.
that's exactly what is being said here
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:38 pm
obelisk79 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:01 pm I concur that the current logo design is fine as a concept, but it should be allowed to evolve.
that's exactly what is being said here
My statement was a reinforcing agreement with that sentiment
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

ok, sorry for the noise, the "but" confused me
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

AR795 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:12 am
chrisb wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:46 pm I like this caliper much more! You may try to use half of the gear as the C?
Excellent, Can you prepare svg of logo?
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

MisterMaker wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:13 pm The problem with FREEcad name is that people assume everything is free. But if you want some full-time devs........
Old debate.

"Free as a beer" or "free as air".

"Free as a beer" is more taylored for a program like FreeCAD, if someone will pay the beer for you is it free if not you have to pay.

In this case, you have to learn how to use it spending some hours of your life, or maybe pay someone to teach you, but if you want a specific feature developed for your own use you could even pay a "coder, programmers, designer" call it in what manner you want to "develop" the thing for you.

Is Opensource Free, not for sure, I have spent many hour to learn Linux, many hours to learn Python, many hours to learn many other things, but my money has not been spent (and this is a good thing as I'm unemployed), in this sense will maybe a more correct description of FreeCAD and other software:
"for the money you have spent" (usually 0 whatever currency you use) you get more that you have payed for.
:D

But if you search among user of OpenSource programs, free is usually declined as "for free" in sense of "monetary cost".

But probably the learning and refine skilling part is present in each software, payed of opensource (free).

OpenCAD? better not as it ciuld be confuse with OpenSCAD. :)

FreedomCAD? clearly a joke, whatever you call the substance is not changing, you could use "with some learning" a CAD system (good, very good, not perfect for sure) that will permit you to make things like payed software, (note the "like").

The point IMHO is that users have to ask for "open standards" in some fields, like "document formats", and similar and probably regulators should ask to their suppliers the ability to save their work (in case of public administrations, our work, as we pay for the work of the public employee) in a format that is not "proprietary" to avoid "obsolescence" and "the vanishing of the "man hour" spend in making things.

Something have been seen around, but it is more a political matter (users have to bother regulators to obtains laws) than a programming matter.

Let's see how things are evolving, as probably in a PostPandemic era, with "cyberwars" between "political blocks" and similar things, there will be (hoping there is already) a different sensibility among people.

Sorry for the possible OT, and Kind Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

I don't like the current logo but I have changed my mind from the latest posts here and I agree a new logo have to be recognized by those who already know the current logo.
It is a quite inspiring but very difficult task to improve it with that in mind. Anyway. Here's an idea I got last night that may be more familiar.
FCLogoJolbas2Color.png
FCLogoJolbas2Color.png (7.22 KiB) Viewed 2309 times
FCLogoJolbas2BW.png
FCLogoJolbas2BW.png (4.41 KiB) Viewed 2309 times
Attachments
FCLogoJolbas2.svg
(52.83 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
chippy

Post by chippy »

Potential splash and icon: