Adaptive toolpath part incursion bug in 0.20.2

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Adaptive toolpath part incursion bug in 0.20.2

Post by chrisb »

Russ4262 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:16 am I recommend that the suggested solutio not be to adjust the diameter of a tool, but use a reasonable value for "Stock to Leave" and then following the Adaptive op with a Profile op to finish the side walls. I think this is more in line with how a machinist might mill the part, using the Adaptive op for clearing, then a Profile and possible Pocket/Surface op for the final finish.
I understand your concerns, but I think that such information doesn’t belong to the wiki’s tool description but rather into a milling tutorial. Or should we add some kind of tutorials section to the tools? That may require a general decision.

In real life I would live with the 0.001 mm offset and see it as a premature compensation of the tool wear :) .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
MRx

Re: Adaptive toolpath part incursion bug in 0.20.2

Post by MRx »

Honestly what kind of community is that where bugfixes are ignored?
The patch was authored on Dec 22, 2021 (now we have 2023) the bug is still there.

I don't want to be unfriendly but the solution is available and all that is being discussed here are workarounds?
That's clearly a sign that something is a little bit wrong with FC developers I would say.

I am not against modifying the proposed patch which is well tested, but I am not going to rewrite it just because another developer would like to have it written in another way (with the same functionality) - so may it be then he should stand up and rewrite it himself to match his expectation. In the meanwhile users have to deal with the yet still existing bug?

And certainly I am angry because I spent / wasted a few hours digging around in the sourcecode to find a solution for this issue back then.
This is how the time of other developers is valued?

----

If someone wants to spend more time on it rather than accepting the working proposed patch:

The issue is in the clipper lib:

Maybe this FAQ entry is related:
http://www.angusj.com/clipper2/Docs/FAQ.htm
The polygons produced by InflatePaths and / or ClipperOffset have tiny artefacts?
Are these bugs?

No. Sometimes very small segments in offset paths are at unexpected angles due to integer rounding. When these offset paths are themselves offset several times, this can exaggerate these angled segments. So perhaps the best way to remove these tiny artefacts is by using the library's SimplifyPaths function.