3D Surface hangs up on STL models

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
RobertSwank

3D Surface hangs up on STL models

Post by RobertSwank »

Attention sliptonic

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.2.29177 +426 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached from 0.20.2)
Hash: 930dd9a76203a3260b1e6256c70c1c3cad8c5cb8
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * A2plus 0.4.60i
  * Assembly4 0.12.5
  * Curves 0.6.6
  * fasteners 0.4.54
  * FeedsAndSpeeds 0.5.0
  * freecad.gears 1.0.0
  * lattice2 1.0.0
  * ThreadProfile 1.84.0
Hi Brad, I am finally following up to your reply to me on the FreeCAD Facebook Chat from a couple weeks ago. I have been experimenting with primarily 3D surface, on a variety of STL conversions as well as on a few models generated in FreeCAD. As I mentioned, I have imported the STL files and converted them to solids in the Part workbench following a couple different Youtube videos. After making numerous false starts, I have gotten 3D surface to work successfully on my FreeCAD models; however, FreeCAD now starts the toolpath on my STL conversions without error messages, but almost immediately "hangs". Checking Task Manager, Freecad takes over about 15% of the processor, and is obviously running, but it never comes back. I have let it run overnight with no completion. I have tried changing the values for Linear Deflection and Angular Deflection with no effect. I have used the default shapes to create my bits - I've used the same bits in the three files I am sharing on OneDrive at

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgucpzstC9_8ga8OQsj ... A?e=7ejmJX

The file Router Lift Gears is a FreeCAD model which works, and the two files are stl conversions which hang. (Incidentally, I have successfully created toolpaths for these two stl files in Vcarve)

Any advice or recommendations you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully, these files give you some examples of the stuff we woodworking CNC router guys would like to do with FreeCAD :-)

Thanks,
Bob Swank