Overlapping Icons

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
moltenaluminium

Re: Overlapping Icons

Post by moltenaluminium »

Thanks, @chennes. I'm recompiling now. I've sent a note to the freecad-git maintainer for Arch's AUR repo to update the PKGBUILD. I think he/she's on these forums as @greyltc
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Under $HOME/.config/FreeCAD you will find a file FreeCAD.conf where we store the layout of the tool bars and dockable windows of FreeCAD and many years ago I had a problem with that. You can rename or delete that file and see if it fixes the issue.
jimb

Post by jimb »

Was the cause of this ever determined? I ask because I am seeing the same problem with the version Ubuntu is packing for Ubuntu 22.10 (freecad 0.20.1+dfsg1-2). However if I run the AppImage version (FreeCAD_0.20-1-2022-08-20-conda-Linux-x86_64-py310.AppImage) it look good.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

An aside: Ubuntu packaged FreeCAD is not reliable at this time. Until we get a dedicated packager for it, I would avoid it.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
dumi

Post by dumi »

I have the same issue. I tested a lot of things, and it seems to be a Mate problem. If i run freecad from fluxbox it works fine, if i run it from Mate, icons overlapping.

If i run second xorg instance with fluxbox there are two scenarios:
if i run second xorg with fluxbox from running mate session (startx -- :1 vt8) then freecad icons overlaping
if i run second xorg from terminal (no running mate on system) frecad works fine.
BUT
if i run second xorg with fluxbox from running mate session but second xorg are running under different user, freecad is fine.

Problem with overlapign appears after system upgrade. Both of mate and freecad was upgraded.

My setup is Gentoo linux, mate 1.26.0 and freecad 0.20.0 (i tested 0.20.2-r1 too, with same behavior).

Anybody some ideas what to test or how to fix it?

Sorry for my bad english :(
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

dumi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:24 am My setup is Gentoo linux, mate 1.26.0 and freecad 0.20.0 (i tested 0.20.2-r1 too, with same behavior).
Just for a test you should try 0.21 AppImage.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dumi

Post by dumi »

i tried this file:
FreeCAD_weekly-builds-31917-2023-03-16-conda-Linux-x86_64-py310.AppImage

same overlap. I think it is MATE problem? :(
dumi

Post by dumi »

i installed freecad from gentoo repository on my laptop with same version of mate, and it works fine :shock:

any idea what to compare between these two computers? both have updated gentoo and AMD CPU. Dekstop is nvidia card (freecad icons overlap) and laptop have RX vega (freecad) is ok.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

This is likely solved but unfortunately appimages are not updating, you could try the snap edge build or the flathub beta build, I'll update it later today.

Or you could change your font dpi setting to 96 dpi, this is usually the cause
dumi

Post by dumi »

Thanks for your help. It helps!!! :)

i have mate DPI set to 94 (i dont know why), setting it to 96 an reloging solved the issue.

Great :)

Thanks a lot a have a nice day :)